Best Way To Stick Fondant To Cookies?

Baking By luv2bake6 Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 5:14am by lindambc

luv2bake6 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 15

I've never really worked with fondant before. If i were to cut shapes of the cookies and stick them on, what do most of you like to use? I know options are piping gel, corn syrup, RI, water, apricot jam, etc but i'd like to hear from people who actually do this all the time. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

14 replies
GayeG Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 15

Hi luv2bake6 - I dont do them ALL the time but when I do, I paint on a thin coat of corn syrup .. very easy! HTH

toleshed Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 15

I also use corn syrup. I have it in a squirt bottle and just dot the cookie around the edges (it doesn't take a big dot) and just lay the fondant on. Like GayeG says "very easy".

bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 15

I use melted and seived apricot or raspberry preserves. It adds a touch of extra flavor to the cookie. I brush it on the back of the fondant so I don't get seepage onto the cookie (looks bad you know!) Remember, just a thin layer will do ya -- less is more in this case. You can also use thinned out piping gel or water but there's no extra flavor there. It's a personal choice. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

Linliv46 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 15

I use the corn syrup with a small paint brush and put it on really thin & then lay my fondant on! Works great!

pamama Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 15

I also use corn syrup- thinned a bit usually and put on with a paint brush. I've also just put the fondant on the cookie as soon as it comes out of the oven while it is still warm and then you don't need an adhesive. It worked well for me but I didn't do a large number so I can't say for sure it works just as well but like I said- I didn't have a problem with it. HTH!

indydebi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 15

I also recommend the putting the fondant shape on the cookie while it's warm method. You just have to be usre you have the fondants cut out ahead of time and ready to go. This is a really fast method to cover shaped cookies! thumbs_up.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:48am
post #8 of 15

I did try that method of putting the cut fondant on the cookies right out of the oven but it did not work. The fondant came off easily once the cookies cooled. I'll try the corn syrup since that seems to be the easiest.
How long does it take for the corn syrup to dry?

Linliv46 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:52am
post #9 of 15

It doesn't take long for it to dry. If you want to add some RI accents then do that & let them all dry at the same time. I am not fast enough to put the fondant on right out of the oven! icon_rolleyes.gif The corn syrup holds it very secure. thumbs_up.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:55am
post #10 of 15

Thanks so much! I'll try it.

indydebi Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:35am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

I did try that method of putting the cut fondant on the cookies right out of the oven but it did not work. The fondant came off easily once the cookies cooled. I'll try the corn syrup since that seems to be the easiest.

Hmmmmm ...... this is curious. The heat from the cookie should melt that fondant right on there.

Is your fondant rolled thick or thin (like less than 1/4")? When I place mine on, I kind of run my hand down it, to press it onto the cookie (like when you run your hand down a folded shirt to smooth the wrinkles out). This might help adhere it.

lindambc Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:40am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

Hmmmmm ...... this is curious. The heat from the cookie should melt that fondant right on there.

Is your fondant rolled thick or thin (like less than 1/4")? When I place mine on, I kind of run my hand down it, to press it onto the cookie (like when you run your hand down a folded shirt to smooth the wrinkles out). This might help adhere it.

I agree with indydebi. Make sure you press it against the cookie a bit. I make sure mine is rolled thin. I also roll mine out before hand and put them in the fridge to harden a bit, makes the fondant shapes easier to handle. I have tried a couple different fondants on cookies, and IMHO I like the result I get with MMF.

HTH

luv2bake6 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:51am
post #13 of 15

When i tried it, it was with the Wilton fondant which was rolled out quite thin and i did press onto the cookie. I did notice it sorta melting so i assumed the idea worked. But then later on when i went to decorate it, the fondant shape popped off; it didn't fall off per se, it popped off (there was some suction) while decorating which still shouldn't happen.

indydebi Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:01am
post #14 of 15

Ohhhhh! It was wilton fondant! That could be your culprit. That stuff sucks in more ways than one! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lindambc Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:14am
post #15 of 15

I agree with indydebi again! Wilton fondant is bad. I won't even practice with it. I highly recommend trying the marshmellow fondant. I actually make the Easy Marshmellow Fondant, you use marshmellow fluff instead of melting marshmellows but either will work!

Try this next time, you will have a way better experience!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%