Wilton Ribbon Roller

Decorating By fidos_mom Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 1:55am by dreamdelights

fidos_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidos_mom Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 13

(Sorry guys. I looked for an answer about this but I came up empty. )

How do you use the Wilton ribbon roller?

I am a fairly intelligent, mechanically inclined person and this thing is just.... um.... strange to say the least. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 13

I don't believe any one ever truly figured this one out. That's pretty much why most people threw their's away. Mine is in the trash. It's hard to line up all the different spacers, then tighten the ends so that it still rolls but doesn't fall off. Then it leaves indentations where you dont want them. I use a pizza cutter and a ruler!

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 13

I don't believe any one ever truly figured this one out. That's pretty much why most people threw their's away. Mine is in the trash. It's hard to line up all the different spacers, then tighten the ends so that it still rolls but doesn't fall off. Then it leaves indentations where you dont want them. I use a pizza cutter and a ruler!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 13

I LOVE the FMM ribbon cutter, use it alllll the time. I've heard many say the Wilton one is not so good icon_sad.gif

If you have questions on this, please ask away! It's one of my favorite tools.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 13

Jennifer M1

Please tell me what the secret is to using this tool - getting it lined up, no marks, etc. It is rather cumbersome and I bought it not knowing any better.

Thanks

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 13

I purchased the wilton brand ribbon cutter and didn't have a problem with it. Only have used it once for a baby shower cake I done in Dec. As long as you have to proper size spacer inbetween the cutters, the outside sizes doesn't matter.
I don't know if they have different ones or not, but I only got 2 strips at a time when cutting.
HTH...

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 13

I've thrown my wilton ribbon cutter away too.

excess marks, won't roll smoothly, won't cut at all.

useless

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 13

Unfortunately I think the secret to that particular tool is throw it in the garbage.

The only time I've ever been able to get it to work I tightened it with pliers and used every spacer.

I think I've stripped mine.

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 13

Perfect timing for this thread! I was wondering if it was just me. I tried to use mine (Christmas present from DH) yesterday for the first time, and just couldn't figure it out! The wing nut on the end would not tighten, and I also got unwanted marks in the fondant. Should I try harder to make it work, or just forget about it?

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 13

I never figured out how to use mine, but I thought it was just me.
And not to change the subject, but your avatar is too cute, HowCoolGomo1! Is it a 'real' picture from your yard?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:00am
post #11 of 13

Now everyone knows I pretty much despise anything by Wilton. However, this I one product I actually have, like and use. You fondant needs to be thin. Number 2 or 3 in a pasta roller. The ribbon cutter wheels don't actually move. I don't use the other imprinters. Move your hand flat along the fondant in front of he ribbon cutter and whoosh, done.

Sometimes I still use a ruler and knife. Depends on my mood.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:20am
post #12 of 13

I just bought one of these and even with the coupon at Michael's I thought I either I am just too daft to get it or I got ripped off by Wilton again!!!! I don't use it often enough to really have a good opinion, but what are those rubbery things for?! Maybe my problem was trying to use it on gum paste rather than fondant, and I think you definately sharper tools for gum paste to come out with clean edges. I think I've been sucked into buying everything in that ONE stupid aisle at Michael's... If my husband only knew how much money is represented in my little rolling plastic drawers!!!

dreamdelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamdelights Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:55am
post #13 of 13

I was going to ask about this yesterday but got distracted. I tried to figure my out and got fed and then stuck it in a drawer. I will try the FMM

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%