1St Mmf Covered Cake, Need Critique

Decorating By Genny_yummies Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 1:50am by Genny_yummies

Genny_yummies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Genny_yummies Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 10

Made this cake for my baby shower yesterday. Everyone raved about it. However, I need you ccr's to tell me how I did. I think I did pretty good for my first MMF covered cakes. The bow is also my first one done in fondant.
Please be honest, I need to learn how to fix the mistakes I did. There were some creases on the fondant, well, more like small cracks, that were covered by the sripes. It happened on the blue ones only, not on the yellow, go figure... Anyway, thanks for looking.
LL

9 replies
chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 10

That's a beautiful cake... and it's your first? Wow.
I'm in awe of the topper, it looks amazing!
Nice job!

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 10

WOW! You did an incredible job!! I can't believe that this is your 1st MMF cake!!!!

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 10

That looks really good. We are all our own worst critic.

Im no expert but....

I see very little 'bulging' and your sides are nice and straight. So you did a good job with those because they are often the underlying causes to a not so great looking cake.

Your design was great so that any creases at the bottom (if there even were) would be hidden by the ribbon and the stripes are applied nice and straight. Some of the thicker yellow stipes don't look 100% even but that could have been because you picked them up right away. Maybe let them dry a little before handling or add some tylose to the mmf before cutting the stripes and allowing it to dry just a little before they are applied to the cake. The white ones stripes look great!

And you bow is great!

Again - much better cake then i have done, so i say bravo!

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 10

Nothing to critique...just wondering if you had to add a lot of blue color to the mmf if that's why it was cracking on you. It happens to me if I add a ton of color.

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 10

I do agree with messy-chef you put too much color that's why it was cracking but your cake loos wonderful thumbs_up.gif really goood job.[/list]

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 10

Looks great! Hope my first MMF cake goes that well!

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 10

No critiques at all! I would be so happy with this cake as a customer, and if I were the one who had made it?!?!? Wow, would I be proud!

Nice work!!!

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:51am
post #9 of 10

It's beautiful. You should be very, very proud. The bow is awesome! icon_smile.gif

Genny_yummies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Genny_yummies Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:50am
post #10 of 10

Thanks for all the nice comments. I thought some of the stripes were a little crooked...but thanks for not noticing.
As far as too much color on the blue, I'm not really sure I added too much, just the same as the yellow...I did knead them both, probably the blue more than the yellow with powder sugar (the blue one was the first one I started with). I wonder if I added too much powder sugar. At first when I was rolling it out, when I would pick it up it wouldn't keep the shape too well, and it would sort of sink into my hand, but after reading a lot here I thought of rolling it with powder sugar and it worked, but again I may have added to much. I guess I was pretty good at hidding it with the stripes though.
The bow, was so much fun to make, the article on how to make it here is great.
Again, this is a cake I'm very proud of, and I appreciate all the comments and critiques.
I LOVE this site!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%