Has This Ever Been Done? Successfully?

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 4:56pm by playingwithsugar

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 6

My husband does not like cake. For his birthday this year he wanted me to make him chocolate chip cookies. Recently I tried a new brownie recipe and he LOVED it. So I'm wondering if anyone has ever built a decorated a cake, but used brownies instead. Can they withstand the layering and the icing on top? I wouldn't be using a filling, maybe just ganache and bc on the outside.

So does anyone have any suggestions, or can I just go ahead and imagine I'm working with normal cake?

5 replies
muddpuppy Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 6

I've totally used brownies as the bottom tier of a wedding cake! It held up really well to the bc and fondant! I didn't really fill it, but added a very thin layer of ganach between layers then iced and covered like normal... mmmmm....yummy....

kakeladi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, yes, yes. Brownies (especially if it's NOT a 'cake' type) will hold up just fine to icing & decorating. Why would it not? They (usually) are more firm than 'regular' cake and probably will be easier to ice & decorate.
Definitely 'pretend it is a real cake' icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 6

I used a huge brownie as the middle of my cheeseburger cake. It held the top layer of cake (which was a 3" deep contour) without support.

It was the part of the cake which got eaten up before the other two flavors.

How about a chocolate chip blondie for your husband. That way, he can have his two favorite flavors.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:53am
post #5 of 6

thanks a lot guys. I wasn't sure if I would have issues with the brownies crumbling because they're so fudgy and moist. Hopefully he'll like it! I should try a chocolate chip blondie sometime. I know he's not a fan of regular blondies but it's worth a try right?

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 6

If you make them with brown sugar, they taste just like chocolate chip cookies, only soft and moist. Try these. I got the recipe from one of the yahoo groups I belong to. They are Bangin'!

Chocolate Chip Blondies with brown sugar

1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter -- (no substitutes) melted
2 eggs -- beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips -- (6 ounces)

In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla just
until blended. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to brown
sugar mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread into a greased 13x9x2-
in. baking pan. Bake at 350F for 18 to 20 minutes or until a
toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire
rack. Cut into bars.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%