How Do You Have Ri Ready For Orders?

Baking By luv2bake6 Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 7:40pm by yankeegal

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 5

I'd love to know how you all are ready when your orders come in. Do you keep a bunch of RI containers around in different colors or do you make them from scratch?
Do you keep them in decorating bags? I'm looking forward to your answers.

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 5

Sure, I keep excess royal icing around...but I try to only make what's needed fresh per order. If I happen to have a few cups of leftovers, it can be saved until I next use it. At an ideal cool room temp, the thinned icing can stay out well-packaged and not in direct sunlight for about 4-6 weeks. (That's only IF you made the recipe with meringue powder, not egg whites!!)

When you open it up, give it a sniff. If it smells "alcoholic", just throw it out. thumbsdown.gif

When stored, it will have separated into three distinct layers in your baggie/container. Untinted, the top layer is fluffy/spongey/marshmallowy, the middle is a pale yellow runny liquid and the bottom is thick/dense/solid.

It will have to be re-beaten at lowest speed in the mixer again with the paddle attachment, for about 8-10 minutes.

It shouldn't be stored in piping bags long-term, no.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 5

If I have leftover RI I will rebeat and use it. I keep it refrigerated between times. I also freeze leftover BC and use that as needed too. Mostly I make fresh icing.

I schedule out my entire week as far as baking and decorating. I have extra refrigerators just for cake so I'm able to work ahead a few days and lock finished cakes up in the refrigerators as I go.

Doing this from home though my maximum is about five cakes or so per weekend, depending on size and complexity. With four boys, its about all I can manage.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for answering my question!!
I don't sell cookies but i do make them for friends and family occasions. I store my RI in the fridge as i find it stays fresher longer and i mix it every so often.
What i find hard is having all the colors that i would need for each occasion at a whim. Sometimes i'll have specific colors in the fridge and run out of white so if i don't have time i have to use those colors. I was just wondering if you guys keep containers of every color possible in the fridge or if you really do make it fresh for each order you have.

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 5

I make it fresh with every order(s) If I have leftover-not so much anymore as I am getting better about judging how much I need-I use it for sample cookies, cookies for the family, or royal decorations-flowers, ladybugs, hearts, etc... I hate to waste anything!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%