Topsy Turvy Freezing, Carving, Filling Question

Decorating By saramachen Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 1:27am by saramachen

saramachen Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 5

After an extensive search on the forum (you get a million hits when you search for "freeze" or "freezing") I have decided to ask in here (probably yet again).

I have baked 12 layers (for a four tiered topsy - my first... a bit much i think but im gonna give it a go) and read that they are easier to carve when frozen. So i double wrapped them in saran and foil and then in a plastic bag and froze them overnight.

Today i want to carve, fill and crumbcoat - but can i refreeze? I baked ahead so i wasn't so stressed out at the end of the week but now fear i have just cause myself more hassels.

I can always do the carving and all of that on Thursday night after work, but i was hoping i could do it today (sunday) and then just thaw and decorate on Friday!

4 replies
jsmith Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 5

You can freeze them after you fill, carve, and crumbcoat them. I would wrap them really well with plastic wrap and foil (maybe chill them a little first so the icing gets hard enough and won't get messed up when you wrap them.) Then, the night before I was going to work on it, I would unwrap them and put them in the fridge to thaw out. I've done it before and it works fine.

saramachen Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Jsmith. I am comfortable torting, filling and crumbcoating then freezing... my issue is with the refreezing.

These cakes are already frozen, i want to carve, fill, crumbcoat and put back in the freezer. Im hoping they wouldn't be compeletly unfrozen by the time i stick em back in the freezer.

I'm sure it wouldn't make anyone sick - but i wonder about the taste factor.

jsmith Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:22am
post #4 of 5

I refreeze them all the time and as long as they're wrapped well they taste fine. I think if you want to freeze them for a couple of months then some fillings will go bad by then like cream cheese. But if it's just a few days, it should be fine.

saramachen Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:27am
post #5 of 5

Oh thats perfect. Its just gonna be a couple of days! Thanks for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%