How To Make A Box-Shaped Cake Look Sharp-Edged ...

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 2:26am by karenm0712

emiyeric Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 5

I will be making a bridal shower cake in a few weeks for a co-worker, and need to make the bottom-most part of the cake into a box. They wanted a super-smooth finish (wanted it to look "modern", in their words), and so I will be covering my square cake with fondant, or chocolate, or something else along those lines to give it the effect they want.
My question is for those box-shaped-cake pros out there ... Of course, I'll be carving my round-cornered square cakes to give them straight edges, but I'm wondering what the best option would be for covering them. I've seen people pre-make their fondant panels and line them up with the cake to cover them when they're ready, and I've seen people apply the fondant directly, but I'm not sure how to give perfect corners if I do that. Would white chocolate be a better option for panels? What would you recommend?
Anybody have any tutorials out there? icon_smile.gif

Thanks for any pointers!

-Emi.

4 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 5

you could do it with bc too. Just takes patience and practice. In my opinion, if you want the sharpest edges, I think the easiest would be to do chocolate/fondant panels. Probably won't get any sharper than that.

Take a look at that video. It's very helpful, as are all the rest of her videos. That video shows how Serious Cakes gets her sharp corners in bc (that's all she works with).

emiyeric Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 5

That's great, thanks so much!

My only concern regarding the fondant panels would be that, if they've had the chance to harden in order to hold their perfect shape when putting the cake together, won't that be kind of gross when we cut the cake? Usually the moisture from the buttercream keeps the inside nice and tender, and the MMF tastes pretty darn good, but I would be worried about texture issues with fondant panels. How easy is it to cut and serve with chocolate panels?

Thanks again!

-Emi.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:57am
post #4 of 5

What if you heated the knife before cutting it? Then it would slice through the chocolate like butta (right?).

karenm0712 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:26am
post #5 of 5

If you can I would purchase Sugarshack's Buttercream and Boxes & Bow's DVD's. The Buttercream DVD is fantastic and shows you a great way to ice a square cake. I love her techniques and think that you can definitely pull off the look you need with BC once you see her techniques. icon_smile.gif

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/buttercreamdvd.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%