Fondant Figure Experts...help!

Decorating By fondantfrenzy Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 6:50pm by Malakin

fondantfrenzy Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, I am really horrible at fondant figures. And I want to try to make this elephant. I realize its not easy and this is difficult. I need to make this elephant standing opposed to sitting like the ones i have seen here. I want to put a put a blanket on the back, which should be simple enough, but can any one PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, help me, and keep in mind I am really bad at figures.....Thanks in advance for your help.
LL

3 replies
emiyeric Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 4

If you don't have a mold (haven't looked to see what's available, but there should be silicone molds that more or less work for this), I would recommend making more of a gumpaste than a fondant, and perhaps making the legs and body separately, and letting them dry to firm up before you mount the body on the legs, so it doesn't all kind of collapse. You can always cover up the seams with the blanket you make. Good luck!

ngfcake Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 4

If it's not easy for you to model fondant and gumpaste I'd suggest you to use a mold. If you can't find one, you can make your own (http://www.culinart.net/silicone.html)

I'd make the elephant in gumpaste, it's dries harder and you can keep it longer.

HTH

Malakin Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 4

Try not to look at the details. Make your mind simplyfy it and just focus on the shape of the different parts, not the overall picture. Make 4 pedestals for the legs all the same size. Make an elongated round body. Place on top of dry legs with gum glue. The head will be the hardest but just try for the general shape with the trunk. Add the ears, eyes, and everything else afterwards.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%