Sorry...you'll Probably Hate This Question.

Business By kandu001 Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 7:36pm by pattigunter

kandu001 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 9

I know everyone hates pricing questions, but I don't sell cakes. I give the cakes as a gift to whatever event I'm invited to. I've been asked to make a 3 tier square cake w/ fondant to serve 76 people. It's a pretty simple design and then it has a monogram on top. I would like to know what my friend would pay if she were to get this cake elsewhere and have to pay for it. Thank you so much!!!!

8 replies
MnSnow Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 9

You should probably do a search for what other decorators in your area are getting. Otherwise do a cost analysis. Add up the cost of ingredients, your utilities that are being used and double that. That should give you a rough figure about cost per serving. Take your cost per serving and times that by the number of servings. That will give you the approximate cost.

SeeChicletRun Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 9

Ive read that fondant covered cakes start around $5 per slice. But Im not sure how you will get 76 servings from 3 tiers a 6" square feeds 18, an 8" 32 and a 10" feeds 50. HTH!

tonedna Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 9

If its pretty simple, but in fondant I charge around $4.50 a slice
Edna

Win Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 9

That's one of those subjective questions that, yes, do get mixed responses. You probably need to see what people sell for around you because it's usually based on region, etc. Even if it were per serving, say 3.50, you are looking at somewhere around $263.00... (if I did my math right in my head.)

Trixyinaz Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 9

This is what I charge:

Buttercream icing with buttercream filling
starting at $2.50 per serving

Buttercream icing with premium filling (fruit, mousse, custard, etc.)
starting at $2.90 per serving

Fondant icing with buttercream filling
starting at $3.15 per serving

Fondant icing with premium filling (fruit, mousse, custard, etc.)
starting at $3.55 per serving

Depending on the design, depends on if I charge more per serving. For a custom cake topper, my pricing starts at $20 and goes up from there depending on the design.

I'm in the Midwest so my pricing may not be what other charge in the Florida area. Good luck!

dailey Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandu001

I know everyone hates pricing questions, but I don't sell cakes. I give the cakes as a gift to whatever event I'm invited to. I've been asked to make a 3 tier square cake w/ fondant to serve 76 people. It's a pretty simple design and then it has a monogram on top. I would like to know what my friend would pay if she were to get this cake elsewhere and have to pay for it. Thank you so much!!!!

it depends on the skill level of the decorator. someone who is inexperienced or new at decorating would be much less than a top of the line designer...

cylstrial Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 9

[/quote]

it depends on the skill level of the decorator. someone who is inexperienced or new at decorating would be much less than a top of the line designer...[/quote]

I'm with you on that one!

pattigunter Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:36pm
post #9 of 9

I would at least charge her the cost of your supplies. Unless its your gift to the party thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%