Thomas The Tank Help

Decorating By kmoores Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 4:41am by organicmum

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone... I'm hoping all you wonderful ladies and gentlemen can help me with this (yes I'm buttering you up icon_lol.gif ) I've been asked to do a 3D Thomas the tank for this coming weekend. Does anyone have instructions or advise for me on how to create such a cake?

Thanks all

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 8
kmoores Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you so much!

organicmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
organicmum Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:42am
post #4 of 8

I'm also planning to do a 3D Thomas cake, but with fondant icing instead, for my son's birthday next week. Heard that Debbie Brown's book "Favourite Character Cakes" has very good instructions for that, but can't find a copy. Wonder if anyone is kind enough to scan the pages from the book on the Thomas cake for me? Would appreciate it very much! icon_biggrin.gif

kmoores Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:10pm
post #5 of 8

That tutorial was great. You can cover the cake in fondant if you need to. Even though the instructions were for buttercream. If I had my time back, I would have done it in fondant too icon_sad.gif Good Luck.

Christina9702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina9702 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 8

I made a 3-D Thomas Cake and the tutorial is also what I used and it worked great. My only advice is to be sure that your cake is not too moist as it will begin to sink. My cake recipe was too moist and by the end of the party Thomas began to sink down. Good Luck!

sisspence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisspence Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 8

I made one using the same tutorial and one using Debbie Browns instructions, and trust me, the above tutorial is a lot easier and turns out a lot better. Good Luck

organicmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
organicmum Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:41am
post #8 of 8

Thanks! This will be my first time working with fondant icing, so I will need the luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%