Do I Always Have To Make A Dam?

Decorating By Rylan Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 3:06pm by CarolAnn

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 8

In my understanding, a dam is stiff buttercream piped around the cake.

I have TWO 2-inch cakes and I am planning to torte both the 2-inch cake so I get FOUR 1-inch cake and 3 layers of buttercream filling. I was wondering if a dam is necessary for every layer. I am just using buttercream, no fruit fillings. Do I need to make a dam or no? Will it bulge if I didn't put a dam once it is covered with fondant?

In short, do you usually put a stiff dam on just buttercream fillings?

Thanks =]

7 replies
cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 8

If you are just using butte rcream there is no need for a dam. The only time you would use one is when you use another type of filling such as fruit or cream or some other one. The purpose of the dam is to prevent the filling from coming through the sides of the layers and seeping through your icing and of course the fondant if you were using that also. Goof luck and let us see your cake. thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 8

No, no dam needed if the fillig is all bc.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks cakegranda and Leahs!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 8

Hi, yes, I always put a dam whether its a bc filling or not. icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 8

I never use a dam regardless of what fillings I use. I just make sure to ice the cake really well and push the buttercream into the space between the layers so that air doesn't come out and form a cake tumor.

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 8

I have done it both ways when just usng b/c between layers. I have found that using the dam has made a difference . Without the dam, I would have a line visible where the layers meet. With the dam, I do not.
But, I'm sure if you let the cake set and settle without the dam and then remove any excess icing that may bulge from the layers, it would work as well.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 8

Almost all my cakes are torted with four layers of cake (but sometimes three) and three fills that are usually the same as what I'm icing with. I don't use a heavy fill anymore since I tort. I use a thin layer of icing that I bring all the way to the edge. Once I get all my layers on I gently push down on the top of the cake to push all the layers securely together (this doesn't smoosh anything). Then when I crumb coat I make sure to spackle all the gaps around the layers to make a nice smooth side. I let this set for a while, usually covered in the frig, before I ice. I have found that I and most others seem to like the multi layered cake with thin filling between each layer much more than my old two layered cake with one thicker layer of icing in the middle. I also think it looks much prettier plated.

***A thin fill of ganache between layers of dark chocolate cake is too die for I'm tellin ya!! Try the Darn Good Chocolate Cake recipe or Collette Peter's Chocolate Bourbon Coconut Cake. Oh Yum!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%