Confusion With Gumpaste And Fondant..

Decorating By joanna3292 Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 4:08pm by joanna3292

joanna3292 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:53am
post #1 of 6

sorry for a stupid question but I want to make some easter cakes with primrose flowers on top. I've always used fondant before but realised that there is something called Sugar Florist Paste made by a company called Squires (I am in the UK), now I think this paste is the same thing as gumpaste in the USA. I just wanted to know whether there is likely to be a difference in taste between the two and also why do people mix the two and what is the benefit of this? sorry for what are probably stupid questions!

5 replies
tktexasgirl Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 11:40am
post #2 of 6

As far as the taste I am not sure if there is a difference. I have never tasted gumpaste on its own or mixed with fondant. The difference between the two is gumpaste gets much harder than fondant and you can roll gumpaste much thinner than fondant.

ngfcake Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 11:42am
post #3 of 6

Not stupid questions at all!!

Gumpaste tend to harden a lot more, and it is used for decorations that have to hold their shape, like flowers, handles of purses, etc. Fondant stays softer and it is used to cover cakes.

I'm sure someone else can give you more details.

londonpeach Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 6

I always use flower paste for my does go hard and lasts a loooong time (handy if someone wants to keep the flowers).

I've never tasted it but hubby has (he eats anything icon_redface.gif ) he said it was ok, but not delicious icon_lol.gif

Caths_Cakes Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 6

Ive tasted squires flower paste, nothing at all like fondant lol!! its defonately NOT sweet, its . . not really got a flavour, it certainly doesnt taste disgusting, but i wouldnt recommend eating it if youve got a sweet tooth lol. its a good choice for flowers really, alot of people like to keep the flowers icon_smile.gif im in the uk too btw icon_smile.gif

joanna3292 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 6

thanks so much for replies, it makes more sense now! I thought I had read somewhere that gumpaste was more flexible and didnt tear as easily as fondant which would also make it much better for flowers. I wonder why people mix the two though? ahhh, always so much to learn!

Quote by @%username% on %date%