Second Recital Cake In Two Week Span For Son...ideas?

Decorating By JodieF Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 1:12am by JodieF

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:25am
post #1 of 5

My son is a trombone music performance major, graduating from university this May. A week ago he had his senior recital playing his trombone. This was a very big, high pressure recital for him. I made this cake for his reception, which I loved, he loved, and, judging by all the favorite saves it got, everyone HERE loved too! icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1321549

In another week he has his senior voice recital. He's not a voice major, and this recital isn't required for graduation, it's just something he wanted to do. So, silly me, I didn't plan a special cake for it! What's wrong with me????? Today he calls and want a hint at what his cake is going to be!

So, help me!!!! I have a week until the recital, the last week has been horribly stressful and I'm incredibly brain dead! I was thinking something more fun than formal??? It has to be fairly easy, because I don't have the skills you all have! It doesn't have to be as big as the last cake (12, 9, 6). It was really way too much cake. I don't really have time to order fondant or anything special.

Please help. Obviously he's very musical. He writes a column for the school paper. He's very tall (6'6). He loves to read. He's getting into cooking. He does martial arts. He's in a musicians frat. He's incredibly in love with his g/f.

icon_cry.gif I don't want to disappoint him!

Jodie

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:58am
post #3 of 5

Kakelady...thanks for taking the time to search out those cakes!

I had the thought today of doing a book cake....."Your Music Performance Degree for Dummies"....go with a funny cake, since he had a formal cake last week. The geeky guy from the book cover could be saying something like "You know there aren't jobs! Go to Grad School" The Chapter examples could be stuff like:

101 Recipes for Ramen
Subway Symphonies: Earn Rent Underground
Playing Weddings Isn't So Bad
Did You Really Just Waste Four Years?

My son has a very good sense of humor, so he'd get a kick out of it....I hope! icon_lol.gif

Jodie

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:09am
post #4 of 5

I don't know how you can say that you aren't that talented... your cake is AWESOME!!!!!! Lucky son!!!

JodieF Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:12am
post #5 of 5

Awww...thanks...but maybe my talent is in recognizing cakes from here that aren't too hard but LOOK like they are, and then I try to duplicate them! icon_biggrin.gif Those chocolate wraps look difficult, but they're really not!
I can't pipe, I have NO clue how to make a rose and I can't smooth a cake to save my life!

Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%