How Do I Get Silvr Frosting?

Decorating By waddayaknowjoe Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 3:09am by waddayaknowjoe

waddayaknowjoe Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 12:24am
post #1 of 11

Am I suppose to ad perl dust to the buttercream to get "shiny silver" or am I way off base on this question.
Am I just suppose to brush perl dust on to get the shine on the cake?
Help! icon_cry.gif

10 replies
prterrell Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:30am
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by waddayaknowjoe

Am I suppose to ad perl dust to the buttercream to get "shiny silver"

No.

Quote:
Quote:

Am I just suppose to brush perl dust on to get the shine on the cake?

You can either brust it on dry or make a "paint" by mixing the pearl dust with vodka (or everclear, or lemon extract or clear vanilla extract).

tracey1970 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:30am
post #3 of 11

I wouldn't add it to the buttercream. I have used pearl dust on fondant, both dry and mixed with vodka, but I have never used it on buttercream. I would think, though, that mixing it in, you would lose the shine you want. I would guess that waiting for your buttercream to crust and then dry brushing on the dust (with a cakes-only blush brush) would work better. Hopefully, someone can help you who has actually used it on buttercream.

sdrosie Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 11

here is a link to a color mixing guide that I was planning on using when I make 25th anniversary cakes coming up soon: http://www.abirthdayplace.com/colorchart.html

Good luck!

Susie53 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrosie

here is a link to a color mixing guide that I was planning on using when I make 25th anniversary cakes coming up soon: http://www.abirthdayplace.com/colorchart.html

Good luck!

Thanks for the info! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1970

I wouldn't add it to the buttercream. I have used pearl dust on fondant, both dry and mixed with vodka, but I have never used it on buttercream. I would think, though, that mixing it in, you would lose the shine you want. I would guess that waiting for your buttercream to crust and then dry brushing on the dust (with a cakes-only blush brush) would work better. Hopefully, someone can help you who has actually used it on buttercream.

This works well for just shine, but if you are going for all out silver, this ain't gonna do the trick. Unless you use 4 or 5 jars of the stuff and in the end it's as thick as pancake makeup. The onl way to get real silver finish is to either get an airbrush and spray it on, or working with fondant, that silver spray in a can.

jlynnw Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 11

If you want a true silver, start with grey fondant, light grey, and then the silver luster dust. I find that that works best for me.

Malakin Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 11

I've myself have always had problems dry brushing the lustre dust on even with the bc crusted. I would start with light gray and then airbrush. That's the only way I have had success.

grama_j Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 11

How much are you going to cover....... like accent pieces or the entire cake, or what? For small areas, you can use NU-SILVER mixed with some vodka to make a paste..... it then is SHINY like real silver.....

Parable Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 11

Here is a picture of two 9x13 "DogTag" cakes I did by using grey BC and painting them with NuSilver Luster Dust mixed with vodka, after the icing crusted. It took less than one container of the luster dust because I thinned it. HTH

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1103733

waddayaknowjoe Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:09am
post #11 of 11

thanx to everyone for their advice, and Parable, that's exactly the color I'm looking for...thanks again, BAKE ON! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%