Tiara Help Needed

Decorating By jlynnw Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 4:51pm by jlynnw

jlynnw Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 10

I have made the tiara and have it on the small satin ice bucket to dry. How is the best way to remove this without breaking. I have found other threads on how to make them and how to repair them, but not on how to prevent from breaking them once they are made.

9 replies
step0nmi Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 10

did you follow the tutorial here on CC?

basically, after you do the three layers and let it dry for a whole day it will kind of just slide off. (you should remove your tape carefully from the bucket that is holding the parchment paper) there is really no way of preventing it from breaking. after you get it off and if you see some thin areas you can add a little more royal icing to those areas...but you do have to handle it very delicately.

Good Luck!

jlynnw Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:10am
post #3 of 10

I am not sure where the directions I got came from. The tiara is made from gumpast and done with the extruder, hand emblished, and then painted with dust. I did not find the RI instructions until I went looking earlier. I will try to take it off tomorrow right before I need it. If it breaks, it breaks, My dd will understand.

step0nmi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:12am
post #4 of 10

awww...well, the gumpaste should be easier to deal with...but if it does break have some royal icing on hand in order to repair it quickly. you will basically be able to use it like sparkle and might not even be able to see the break.

good luck!

milissasmom Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:24am
post #5 of 10

I make mine with gumpaste and have never had them break on me but the above poster is right, if it does, just use a little royal icing or gumpaste glue (if you have some made, I make my gumglue thick like a thin paste) and you should have no issues at all!!

jlynnw Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:23am
post #6 of 10

have gumglue but what is sparkle???

step0nmi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:26am
post #7 of 10
Originally Posted by jlynnw

have gumglue but what is sparkle???

I'm so sorry...I meant to "use the royal icing like Spackle"

tee hee icon_rolleyes.gif

jlynnw Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 10

I was so excited to learn about something new! Sparkling spackle for tiaras! Who even knew! Sleep deprived, what can I say??? OK I am finally getting brave and took it off. I guess I should have criscoed the wax paper, it stuck in two spots and I am not into repairs. I just cut the part off to match on the other side!! I have been trying harder to upload the pic than working on the tiara!! icon_mad.gif How do I get my pic to be less than 800 x800 pixels? Will post in my pics.

step0nmi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 10

icon_surprised.gif IT'S BEAUTIFUL! how come you're complaining? icon_lol.gif

anyway...the gumpaste probably stuck because it wasn't fully dry. the tiara looked a little thick on the bottom part and you could've maybe left it for a little while longer or put a fan on it until just before putting it on the cake.

nice work though for your first try! thumbs_up.gif

jlynnw Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 10

the part that stuck was the curl right next to the heart on the outside. The bottom was a ribbon strip with left over pearls from a prior cake. Overall, it turned out OK. I don't like the paint job though. Have to work on small details. It is always a work in progress thing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%