Pricing Individual Cakes For Wedding

Decorating By live2create Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 3:04pm by live2create

live2create Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 16

I have been asked by a bride to make individual cakes that will be sat on each table instead on one main cake. How do the rest of you price these cakes. My the cake or still by the slice. I am thinking she will want it by the cake. If there is alot of detail work on them should I set the price different. So if she wants a 10 in round cake with filling what would you charge.

15 replies
Beckalita Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 16

You mean one cake for each guest table ~ not one individual cake for each guest. I would price these higher than if she were to order one large cake....having, say...10 table cakes is a lot more work than a 3 or 4-tier wedding cake....plus it takes more space in your vehicle to transport, more time to set up, etc. Also, unless she is having HUGE tables....a 10" round cake is too much cake for a typical wedding guest table, and they will end up with a lot of cake left over. A 6" round 2-layer cake to serve 12 would make more sense. The charge would depend upon a lot of things; buttercream or fondant?, specialty cake flavors or fillings, how much detail or piping is needed on each cake, whether you are supplying the cake stands, etc.
Hope this helps!

-K8memphis Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 16

Just charge the same per serving price you always charge. $3-$4 or so for buttercream. $4 to $5-ish for fondant. Upcharge for extra decor. Stuff like that. Same same.

kakeladi Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 16

You definitely need more info. Beckalita is right about the size.

...........I am thinking she will want it by the cake.............
So what?? You set your selling price - not the customer!

something_sweet Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 16

I also would charge my normal "by the slice" price and then upcharge for extras. If she wants the price by the cake, figure out how many slices are in the size cake she wants and multiply it by your per slice price. Give her that as the "per cake" price. Either she will take it or leave it, and you won't lose any money.

indydebi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 12:20am
post #6 of 16

What brides fail to understand when it comes to the cost of these things, is it's not so much that we are charging extra for a small cake ... it's that she is buying about 3 times more cake than she needs.

Most round banquet tables seat 8. An 8" round cake serves 24. She is paying for 24 servings ... 3 times what she needs .... because that's what the cake is designed to serve. She is NOT going to get by with paying for only 8 servings because that's how many she plans to cut from it.

Why are centerpiece cakes more expensive? Because you're buying 3 times more cake than you would with just a regular wedding cake. Ergo, 3 times the price. That means she's about to spend $1500 instead of just $500.

live2create Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:48am
post #7 of 16

Thanks for the help I very much appreicate all of you giving me things I need to think about. You brought things to my attention I did not think about. I think people think this is a cheaper way to go, but in the end there is more waste also with these cakes.
Once again Thanks Live2create

indydebi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:52am
post #8 of 16

Oh yeah, the waste!

I catered a wedding where the sister made centerpiece cakes. At the end of the reception, they had over 15 half-cut cakes icon_surprised.gif sitting on those tables. When my girls were clearing the tables of our plates and silverware, the guests were trying to give us the leftover cakes to put in the trash. We had to tell every one of them, "No, those aren't ours ... the bride will take care of that for you."

So they spend $1500 instead of $500 and then they throw $750 worth of cake in the trash.

Deb_ Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:01am
post #9 of 16

I agree, it's a huge waste of cake, it's a lot more work and a lot more money. If you're bride thinks she will save doing it this way you need to educate her and show her why it's a lot more $$ then just having 1 traditional cake. Tell her you charge by the serving, not by the cake.

kelleym Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:02am
post #10 of 16

indydebi, I'm just curious - do brides always want an 8" centerpiece cake, or after explaining the 24-serving thing, does anyone ever want a 6"? Making 20-30 6" cakes is still way, way more work than a normal wedding cake, so if I could ever be talked into it, my price would be astronomical... but I'm just wondering if brides think a 6" is too "puny" for a centerpiece. icon_rolleyes.gif

-K8memphis Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:23am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

indydebi, I'm just curious - do brides always want an 8" centerpiece cake, or after explaining the 24-serving thing, does anyone ever want a 6"? Making 20-30 6" cakes is still way, way more work than a normal wedding cake, so if I could ever be talked into it, my price would be astronomical... but I'm just wondering if brides think a 6" is too "puny" for a centerpiece. icon_rolleyes.gif

If they go with the bare naked cake trend and 6" cakes--it could wind up looking like so many rolls of toilet paper adorning each table.

icon_biggrin.gif

eldag0615 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:56pm
post #12 of 16

I can picture that, aaahhhhhaaaahhhhhh icon_lol.gif

leah_s Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:13pm
post #13 of 16

I love, love doing centerpiece cakes and sometimes suggest them to brides! My requirements are that it must be a 6" round, I get to choose the flavors and the design needs to be pretty simple. I also suggest a 2 tier cake to serve the wedding party and families, and for the photo op. I find them no more time consuming or difficult than a tiered cake.

Yes, the bride will buy more cake, but if she was planning floral centerpieces, she will save money in the long long, because she has to buy cake anyway.

I chose to do centerpiece cakes for DD's wedding.

classiccake Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:41pm
post #14 of 16

I charge more per serving than my wedding cake. It is more work. We cover the boards.....many more, instead of greasing and washing 8 pans, we are doing 40 pans. Instead of carrying in one cake and putting it on one table, we are carrying in 20 cakes and putting them on 20 tables. If we have several other wedding cakes we could take in that load, we may have to make an extra delivery run because of space issues.

When we do the cakes it is usually 6 or 7" rounds with a two tier on the brides table.

JenniferMI Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:16pm
post #15 of 16

Charge MORE. WAyyyyy more work!

You might suggest a table cake on every OTHER table, then there's not so much waste.

Jen icon_smile.gif

live2create Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:04pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks all of you for the great discussion, you taught me alot, I had my appointment witht he bride yesterday and after I explained to her about the waste, she totally understood, an so did mom. She went with one main cake and got all the flavors she wanted. The wedding was for 200 I am sooo glad she went with what she did. Once again thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%