Guidance Needed For Flilp Flop Cake Straps

Decorating By brandywinecakes Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 2:42am by Malakin

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 6

I'm sorry if this is a duplicate post. I've searched and can't find what I'm looking for.

I am making a pair of flilp flops and I'm not sure how to make the straps. I already have fondant, so I'd like to use that. My dilema is how to shape them while they dry. My first thought is to lay them on a paper towel roll, but I'm not sure if that's going to give me the right shape. I have done very little with fondant, so I'm hoping that someone one here can guide me.

Thanks!

5 replies
Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 6

If you're using "straps" then maybe you can cut a thick strip and lay it on it's side.

I do that with bows as well.

HTH!

flourbud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourbud Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:38am
post #3 of 6

If using fondant then drape over appropriate sized glass to dry. I made flip flops using buttercream and it called for using fruit roll ups for the straps but they were much too limp and would not stand up so I used a striped ribbon instead and it looked great.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:12am
post #4 of 6

I would make the straps right on the flip flops. Arrange them how you want them to be and then put pieces of paper towel under them to hold them to the shape and position until they have dried and then remove the paper towel. (Add a little Tylose powder to your fondant to make it a little more workable and dry faster.)

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:01am
post #5 of 6

Thank you all for your ideas! I'm going to tackle this tomorrow...hopefully, they will turn out nice...and if they don't, I'll use ribbon as a back up!

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:42am
post #6 of 6

I made mine from 50/50 and shaped them and laid them over a form of paper towels to dry in the shape I needed. Pretty fragile but worked really nice. Should be in my pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%