How In The World Do I Do This

Decorating By jlynnw Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 5:16pm by JGMB

jlynnw Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 16

I am doing my dd cake for tomorrow. This is a mojor celebration for us as this is the year she will never live to see (so sayeth the dr). Anyhow, we planned a large celebration and invited too many people. i planned on a cake for too many people. My DD just came in crying as handed me the invites she forgot to pass out at school to 88 classmates icon_cry.gif I have had 15 people RSVP and cake to serve 75 people, how can I down size a topsy turvy cake already baked and base iced? 12 x 9 x 6? I already plan on leaving off the 6.

15 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 16

I would just leave it and eat cake for a week!! ha!ha! I am doing a cake for 50 for my daughters birthday next weekend and only about 20 people will be there but I want her to have a extravagant cake!! The things we won't do for our kids!!

costumeczar Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 16

I'd get on the phone and start calling people! I'll bet you can round up more guests if they find out your daughter forgot the invitations.

cinderspritzer Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 16

Sorry to hear about it being her last, but, if that's the case, you may as well go all out. Leave it as it is!

ngfcake Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 16

I always make more cake than I need to (I am always affraid of not having enough cake). I'm not talking about a few more servings, I have even make the double than I need. (Not on purpose, I realise that after the cake was served). What I do is give cake for the guests to take home. They are happy to do that and I don't eat cake all the week after the party (which I'd love to).

hummingbird59 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 16

If you wanted a large celebration for your daughter, then the first thing I would do is get on the phone and start calling the invites. Enlist other family members to help if possible. I pray the doctor is wrong, but for her day go all out as much as you can. I like Kiddiekakes idea. Cut bigger pieces and eat lots of cake.

jlynnw Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 16

ok, mess up comunications. DR. said she would never make it to this age, she would live past 10 and she is 11 now. Sorry for the confusion. She is a God send and DR DON'T know everything!

I guess I will go ahead and do the cake as is. We have been calling, emailing, and everything we can think of to get people over. I think the big air castle thing will help. Thanks for ya'lls support. I just freaked! icon_redface.gif

Cookie45 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 16

I wouldn't change anything either. I'm an "over-the-top" kind of person and a big cake for a smaller crowd wouldn't bother me in the least. Showcase your beautiful daughter and your beautiful cake...then send it into school with her on Monday, take some to your neighbors, leave some in the teachers lounge at school, send some to work...pretty soon, you will have no extra cake. thumbs_up.gif

cherrycakes Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:59pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngfcake

I always make more cake than I need to (I am always affraid of not having enough cake). I'm not talking about a few more servings, I have even make the double than I need. (Not on purpose, I realise that after the cake was served). What I do is give cake for the guests to take home. They are happy to do that and I don't eat cake all the week after the party (which I'd love to).

I do this too! We always invite the families of our children's friends (because their parents are our friends too - mostly from church) to the parties. When the party is over I hand out the cake as they're out the door. The parents love it because after they get the kids to bed they put their feet up, have a cup of tea and a huge piece of cake! icon_biggrin.gif

cakesandbakes Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 16

Make the bottom out of a dummy, put the bottom cake you already baked in the freezer icon_biggrin.gif

jlynnw Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:53pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks eveyone for you suggestions. I ended up doing the full cake and have only the top tier left. A family of 9 was honored to take the leftovers home with them! I saved the top tier for her "real" birthday dinner tonight. It was amazing how many showed up. A few of the parents called other parents to let them know she was having her party and "all" were welcome. I have met neighbors for the first time in our year of living here. It was GREAT! I still have yet to figure out how to post a pic less than 800 x 800 pixels, but I did upload the pic. Thanks again, your thoughts and prayers were greatly appreciated!!

ngfcake Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:57pm
post #12 of 16

I'm glad to hear that everything worked for you!

To resize your picture you can go to this website: http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

It's really easy.

jlynnw Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:36pm
post #13 of 16

I think I did it
LL

all4cake Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:57pm
post #14 of 16

Great cake! I'm so glad things worked out!

JaLa90016 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:03pm
post #15 of 16

Wonderful cake!!! I am so glad that everyone had a good time and everything worked itself out!!!

Happy Monday Everybody!!!!

JGMB Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:16pm
post #16 of 16

What a beautiful cake and a great, uplifting story -- your daughter being alive and well, you meeting neighbors . . .

Thanks for sharing!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%