What Type Of Cake Support For Mushroom Shaped Cake

Decorating By Cinderina Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 2:04pm by PennieK

Cinderina Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 12

I need to do a Super Mario blue mushroom for next week. I'm planning on a 2-layer 6" with a cake board for the stem and a bowl-shaped cake with a cake board for the mushroom cap. I was going to us the typical dowel rod support. Any special support needed since the top is larger than the bottom? Thanks

11 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 12

I am glad you asked this question because I have a fairy mushroom to do in a few weeks and was wondering the same thing!!

Cinderina Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 12

Kiddiekakes, what kind of bowl/pan were you planning on using for the mushroom top? I was thinking either a round bowl, the Pampered Chef batter bowl or the Wilton Wondermold pan. Which ever would give the best mushroom effect.

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 12

I have the wilton 6 inch ball pan...and I also have an 8 inch Betty Crocker half dome pan.I think I will use the 6 inch since itis only feeding about 10-15 people.The 8 inch is quite large

ngfcake Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 12

I'd like to know too! Debbie Brawn has one mushroom cake but she does not use a support system icon_surprised.gif . I thought that if I made that cake someday I'd support it (I think I've read a thread about someone making this mushroom and have it collapsing).

cakeladydi Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 12

For my Mario cake I used 2 stacked 5" rounds for the stem and had them on a board, and for the mushroom part I used half of the Wilton ball pan on top of an 8" round and carved it to look mushroomy and had it on its own board also. The completed mushroom sat on top of a 12" round two layer. I had dowels in the 12" where the stem part was going to sit and and I had dowels in the stem part to support the rounded top part. When I delivered it to the party it was all together except for the rounded part. When I put it in place I drove a skewer down through the board the 5" was on. It was completely supported and wasn't going anywhere.
Hope this helps.
Diane

cakeladydi Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 12

Oops! I think I used the Wondermold instead of the sports ball pan. Sorry!
Diane

marmalade1687 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 12

I did a Super Mario red mushroom for a groom's cake, and did the stem with a 6" round (with dowels through it), then a wondermold cake on an 8-inch cake board. I drove the sharpened dowel through the two cake tiers, and it was fine for the drive to the reception.

Cinderina Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 12:03am
post #9 of 12

Cakeladydi, your mushroom is awesome. All you used for the cap was the Wonder Mold pan? I would assume there must have been some tweaking to it for it to resemble the mushroom cap.

cakeladydi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 12:46am
post #10 of 12

Cinderina, Thanks. I had the wonder mold on an 8" round. Still had to do some tweaking. I'm usually not one to "carve" cakes but I was pretty pleased with the way it turned out.

Cinderina Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:05am
post #11 of 12

Think I'll try doing the Wonder Mold and a single layer 8" for the cap and two 6" for the stem. It's not going to be on a base cake, so I'm hoping I don't loose too much cake in the carving process. Thanks for everyone's help.

PennieK Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:04pm
post #12 of 12

For my Smurf house I used the wondermold for the stem and for the mushroom cap I used Rice Krispie Treats.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%