Shimmer Dust, Luster Dust, Petal Dust??

Decorating By AfordRN Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 4:59am by gerripje

AfordRN Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 6

I'm a bit confused about all the dust. I did this Debbie Brown sleeping dragon cake and it called for petal dust. My local Hobby Lobby had wilton shimmer dust and luster dust. I got the colors I needed for the dragon in shimmer dust. The coins and pots look great with the luster dust, but when I tried to color the dragon it fell right off. I ended up tapping it on, but if anyone sneezed it will blow off! The instructions said to wet the fondant, but I tried a spot and it looked clumpy. Would of this been a time to buy kids chalk and use that??

5 replies
Florimbio Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 6

If it is that wilton shimmer is usless..the luster dust mix with clear extract..such as vanilla, lemon, or almond then paint. Petal dust has no shine..just flat color HTHicon_smile.gif

AfordRN Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 6

Yes it was useless. Only thing I could see using it for is if you wanted to tap some on your cupcakes right after frosting so they are still sticky.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 6

Yes...don't buy Wilton shimmer dust to replace luster dust. I have used it in a pinch to give some ribbon a little sparkle. If the fondant is a little tacky it will stick.

bananabread Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 6

I hope this information will be useful for you:

You can use our Petal dust - Luster dust to your paint chocolate, gum paste flowers or fondant with.

This is how you use petal dust - luster dust. All you need to do is buy yourself some vodka and mix a little at a time in a bowl and paint your fondant or gum paste project and let dry.

To use petal dust - luster dust on chocolate just brush on dry to the desired tone you like

and use a natural painting brush or it will scratch your chocolate.

gerripje Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:59am
post #6 of 6

I made the same mistake picking up that Wilton shimmer dust, in a pack of 3, yellow, white, and gold or something like that. It doesn't even work for it's supposed to do. Very disappointed in yet another Wilton product!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%