Box Cake With Lid

Decorating By kccliff Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 2:35am by kccliff

kccliff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kccliff Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 7

How do You make the lids for the box cakes? I'm guessing a cake board but not sure...

6 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 7

There's a sticky thread in the Cake decorating forum called "My hatbox cake directions." Here's the link: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-215781-0.html She does an awesome job of explaining how a hatbox cake (and lid) are put together.

Also Sugarshack just came out with her best DVD yet -- Boxes and Bows!! (WELL worth the $$)! icon_lol.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 7

I did a round hat box and used a piece of styrofoam (covered in fondant )from Michaels as the lid, it worked great. I used some skewers to support the lid and put flowers inside. See my pics. I don't remember if they had square though.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the info I needed it too.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:21am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kccliff

How do You make the lids for the box cakes? I'm guessing a cake board but not sure...

For my gift cake I made the lid using an inverted cake pan. Simply dust the bottom of the pan with corn starch. Roll out your gumpaste and cover the bottom of the pan. Use a knife to trim the edges of the gumpaste. Build your bow directly on top of the lid. Let this all dry. I let the one in my gallery dry in less than a 12 hour period. I would sugest letting it dry longer. Once it's all dry remove it from the bottom of the pan and slip a cake board underneath. I then used chopsticks to support the lid on the cake.

Here is the link to the gift box cake in my album that I made using my method. If you need more help feel free to PM me.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=43231

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:25am
post #6 of 7

Sharon Zambito of Sugared Productions (and known here on CC as Sugarshack) has just released a "Boxes and Bows" DVD. If you can swing it, you'd find it an awesome resource.

kccliff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kccliff Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:35am
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much for all you ideas...I am new to this site and I really like it..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%