Airbrushing Do I Need Specific Airbrush Colours???

Decorating By mmljztaa7 Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 12:02am by Kiddiekakes

mmljztaa7 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 9

hubby bought me a airbrush and i would like to try airbrushing my cakes, i am in the uk and wondered do i need to use airbrush colours such as kopykake or can i use food colour pastes diluted with alcohol.
I need to do a gold coloured cake and wondered the best way to do this, gold dust mixed with alcohol, or liquid gold colour diluted or???

so confused luckily huby is a paint sprayer and so can show me how to spray just need to know what with lol icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
cinderspritzer Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 9

I've seen lots of people who say they dilute their paste colors with alcohol to use in their airbrushes.

mmljztaa7 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 9

yes i was thinking of doing that thanx for letting me know it is possible, i need help though as i need to do a gold cake , any ideas for creating a gold colour to spray with? please

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 9

I wouldn't suggest that you do that..Many have clogged and ruined the airbrush nozzle doing that because there is tiny particles that can become released from dried paste.I would only use colors that are specifically made for an airbrush!

You can dilute lustre dusts to spray but they have to be mixed really well and runny and not thick and pastey.

mmljztaa7 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 9

i can't seem to find anyone in the uk that stocks airbrush colours though can anyone help with a uk supplier/website etc as i'm not sure if a usa supplier will ship, i really need a gold colour as well as a few others

kakeladi Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 9

Do your grocery stores sell tine bottles of color? Here in the US you usually can get a pkg of 4 colors. You probably could use that as it is mostly liquid rather than the paste/solid colors.
One of those bottles would be plenty for one cake.

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 9

I know there are suppliers that stock the PME Lustre sprays in Gold,Silver and Pearl.I used to buy it from a UK ebay seller before Americolor put out their new sheen colors this year.If you want the name just PM me and I will find it on my ebay saved sellers!

mmljztaa7 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 9

i have just seen the americolor sheen on a usa shop site forairguns, arrrrh this is exactly what i want but i can't find a uk supplier help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 12:02am
post #9 of 9

There is also a Canadian supplier that now sells the Americolor gels,airbrush colors and the sheens..You might want to email and see what it will cost you to send it to you in the UK.

Quote by @%username% on %date%