Cutting And Serving Cake

Decorating By tguegirl Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 1:18am by indydebi

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering how you guys instruct your customers to cut and serve cakes. For wedding cakes, I assume that the catering hall will know how to do it. For regular cakes, though- do you warn your customers that there are dowels, cardboard, skewers and all manners of non-edibles inside the cake? Do they realize this or are they skeptical/surprised when you tell them? Do they realize that they have to cut down to the cardboard and stop- and serve that level instead of cutting all the way down? I'm asking because I had a tiered cake with gumpaste flowers on toothpicks and real ribbon (backed with wax paper) on it and apparently, everyone was very perplexed as to how to start cutting and serving!

6 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 7

I always include a "suggested" cutting guide and a list of how many supports are in the cake.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 7

Judy, here is a link to the Wilton page where they show each shape and the graph for cutting.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/cake-cutting-guides/wedding-cake-cutting-guide.cfm

You could print it out and include the size and shape of the cake purchased. It will show the client how the cake is to be cut and how many serving pieces they will get out of each cake.

Don't assume that all venues will know how to cut a wedding cake. I've been at a few that butchered the cakes. It's always a good idea to leave the cutting graph and dowel inventory information.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 12:22am
post #4 of 7

Here's the link to my website that shows step by step how to cut a cake ... much better than the dreaded "circle method". I've delivered cakes and found this page laying on the cake table for the cake cutter. Since it's a "straight line method", it's easier for cake civilians, too.

http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

Mrs262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs262 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 12:36am
post #5 of 7

I agree with indydebi. I have looked at her cake cutting guide before and it is sooo much easier to explain.

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:10am
post #6 of 7

Thanks, Indydebi! Do you also include a guide to explaining dowel removal and cardboard? Or do you just let the customers know that various inedibles are contained within the cake?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:18am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tguegirl

Thanks, Indydebi! Do you also include a guide to explaining dowel removal and cardboard? Or do you just let the customers know that various inedibles are contained within the cake?

They'll see the dowels when they take the tiers apart. I dont' know anyone who tries to cut thru 3 tiers of cake all at once. So, no, I dont' give them a guide to dowel placement. It's a piece of wood ... you can't eat it ... take it out. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%