Help Covering Cake With Slice Cut Out

Decorating By londonpeach Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 4:07pm by Rose_N_Crantz

londonpeach Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 8

I would like to make a cake with a slice cut out and placed on top of the cake...i've seen so many lovely ones on this site.

I want to cover it in fondant and would like some advice on which is the best way to cover it...should I cover the top and sides before the middle of the cake (where the slice is missing) or the other way round.

Any ideas please icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
londonpeach Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 8

Someone must be able to give me some tips pleeeeeese icon_biggrin.gif

lucysmam Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 8

I'm not very experienced so don't actually know the best way to do this, but, having seen some cakes of the type you're talking about, the cut out bit & then the top & sides would be my first thought, then the join between the 2 pieces wouldn't be so obvious as it would be in the cut out

Or maybe, do it all in one & when it comes tothe cut out, cut along the icing into the triangle where the cut out is, then you should be able to do it without any more joins I think

Hope that makes sense icon_smile.gif

londonpeach Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 8:06am
post #4 of 8

I'll just give it a go, it's only a practise cake so it don't matter what it looks like icon_wink.gif

niccicola Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 8

I had a 1x8 round cake leftover from a cake that i did this weekend. I decided to cut it in half then half again to make 4 quarters. i stacked 2 quarters on top of each other to make 2 - 2" tall cake slices. i wasn't sure how to approach covering the cake, so I first covered the whole thing, then wrapped the sides, but looking back, I think it would have been better for me to do the "inside" of the cake, then the outside. But they turned out fairly well.
LL

jenbenjr Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 8

I have done one of the cakes in the past and I believe I covered the whole cake with fondant...then with a clean serrated knife, I cut my slice out. I then iced the slice and the place of the cake that I cut my slice out with buttercream. I cut a piece of fondant and then attached it to those places and trimmed it clean. I hope this makes sense...it's kinda hard to explain! Good Luck!

londonpeach Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the help, niccicola your cakes look great.

I have to admit I chickened out icon_redface.gif I'm taking the cake into work as i've been off for a few weeks and they bought me some nice gifts.....anyway, I work with about 15-20 people but we have a lot more people coming in and out....maybe 50-70 and if it turned out really bad I would be soooo icon_redface.gif

I've just iced it and I will decorate tomorrow but I will definately ty the slice cake soon...when it's just for family icon_wink.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbenjr

I have done one of the cakes in the past and I believe I covered the whole cake with fondant...then with a clean serrated knife, I cut my slice out. I then iced the slice and the place of the cake that I cut my slice out with buttercream. I cut a piece of fondant and then attached it to those places and trimmed it clean. I hope this makes sense...it's kinda hard to explain! Good Luck!

that makes perfect sense, though I know if I tried it I would have some issues with reicing the cut parts. But like every other caking technique, practice makes perfect!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%