Crusting Buttercram Icing?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 6:16pm by kakeladi

Pickulz Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 8

I am new to cake decorating...and have read many places that you should put crusting buttercream icing? What is that?
Is it the same as regular bc icing?

7 replies
kakeladi Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 8

Yes icon_smile.gif If it 'crusts' it will dry to a somewhat hard finish....not hard-hard, just enough that you can touch it and no icing will come off on your finger. That can take as little as 5 minutes or up to 30.
The less fat in your recipe the faster it will crust. So usually 1 to 2 cups fat (Crisco or butter) to 2#s of sugar will give you a crust.

DO NOT PUT IT IN THE FRIG to crust! It must air dry to crust.

Pickulz Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks!!
So Should I apply a thin layer for this?

kakeladi Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 8

From your ? I assume you are going to cover this b'c w/fondant?
If so, yes somewhat thin - not as thin as a crumb coat and not as thick as if it was the only icing on a cake.
BUT.......if you are going to cover this b'c w/fondant then you do not want to let it crust at all.

jguilbeau Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

DO NOT PUT IT IN THE FRIG to crust! It must air dry to crust.

Why?

indydebi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 12:32am
post #6 of 8

Air drying removes the moisture from the outer crust of the icing.

Putting it in the refrigerator just hardens the fat in the icing. When you remove the icing from the 'frig and the fat returns to room temp, it "melts" and you have soft icing AND you have wet, condensation on your cake.

You want it to air dry ... not just harden up a little.

Pickulz Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 8:37am
post #7 of 8

yes I was planning on putting fondant on the cake after the buttercream crusting

kakeladi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 8

If you are using SMBC or IMBC that is different......it never crusts & the only way to stiffen it up is to frig it. But........ (American) p.s. b'cream needs to air dry so the moisture in the icing evaporates. It does not evaporate in the frig as Indy explained.

When one covers a cake w/fondant there needs to be something sticky for the fondant to adhere to .... that is the reason for b'cream. There are others coverings that one can use - like heated jam or piping gel if you don't want/can't use b'cream. These must be sticky so you don't want the b'cream to crust before adding the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%