Confused By Fondant Charts..

Decorating By TrinaH Updated 28 Feb 2009 , 1:01pm by keyshia

TrinaH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrinaH Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 5:22am
post #1 of 12

I'm so confused! I don't work with fondant very often (more like... rarely) becuase there just hasn't been much interest in it.

However, I have a friend who would like a stacked wedding cake with 5 square tiers (14, 12, 10, 8, and 6) and covered in fondant. I've decided to use Satin Ice fondant for it but when trying to figure out how much I'm going to need, I keep finding conflicting (or maybe confusing is the better word)information.

Can anyone provide any insight on how many pounds of fondant I am going to need for a cake of this size? I have to order it and cannot risk not having enough but really don't want much extra since I won't really have a use for it most likely!

Also, just out of curiosity... if you were having a white chocolate flavored cake... would you choose regular white fondant or vanilla fondant?

11 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:16am
post #2 of 12

Here's a link to Satin Ice's ordering guideline. On it it tells you how much you need to order based on 4" high cakes ranging from 6" to 14".

http://www.rolledfondant.com/ordering.shtml

HTH! icon_smile.gif

TrinaH Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:30am
post #3 of 12

That is what I was originally going by... and adding it all up it said 112 ounces. Divide that by 16 and I get 7 lbs. That does not sound like it's even close to enough. So I checked other sites and while not using the same product per say ... I find recommendations being closer double that amount! That's where I'm getting confused icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:52am
post #4 of 12

Sorry Trina.

I only checked Satin Ice because that was what you said you were using icon_redface.gif . I also noticed that you are going to be using square cakes and I know that the serving sizes are more for these than for round so you will probably need to take that into consideration too.

Hopefully someone who has worked with something this large (and square tiers) will post here if not I suggest that you contact Satin Ice themselves and get it straight from the horses mouth icon_smile.gif .

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

TrinaH Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:55am
post #5 of 12

Thank you so much for taking the time to help! I guess contacting Satin Ice people would be a good idea... geez, you'd think I could have thought of that huh?

xstitcher Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:57am
post #6 of 12

We're all entitled to our Duh moments icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I know I have them all the time but of course I always blame them on DH and the kids. icon_lol.gif

TrinaH Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:59am
post #7 of 12

I blame them all the time too!! Such as this particular "duh" moment... I blame the kids because they are simply not capable of letting me work on cake stuff while they are awake so I have to work on this stuff at 1 am when I'm super tired!

I see that you can probably totally relate... I have five kids that are 10, 9, 5, 3, and 2!

xstitcher Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:03am
post #8 of 12

Yup I totally relate.

I never bake/decorate at civilized hours. Late at night is my only "me" time. That's why I'm always on here at this time (I always get carried away though it's already 2am....) I keep telling myself to go to sleep but CC keeps beckoning. icon_smile.gif

TrinaH Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:04am
post #9 of 12

I know that ALL too well!!! I get sucked in here and the next thing I know, it's 3 am!

xstitcher Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:05am
post #10 of 12

and sometimes 4 icon_eek.gif

TrinaH Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:09am
post #11 of 12

tapedshut.gificon_redface.gif

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:01pm
post #12 of 12

Leahs,

I didn't know there was a coupon for fondant source...i went there after you suggested it to someone else. Do you have the code?? Thank you very much if you do! icon_smile.gif If not, do you knwo where I could find it? Iw as excited because I ordered my first SPS for a wedding cake in july...I know...the simple things. icon_smile.gif

Keyshia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%