Hand Painting Fondant?

Decorating By jmaho1171 Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 2:34am by tracey1970

jmaho1171 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmaho1171 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 5:06am
post #1 of 6

OK can you paint fondant with a brush? Im trying to make cutting board cake. So I want to make it look like wood. I was thinking using 1/2 white and 1/2 brown fondant swirled but I have seen so many cutting board cakes - Any advise or suggestions?

5 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:10am
post #2 of 6

Sure you can. Just thin down the colouring with alcohol or extract (I hear everclear is really good to use as it dries quicker (higher alcohol content) or you could use some vodka).

yangers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yangers Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 6

Yes you can, I paint on my fondant with a paintbrush. I thin mine down with clear vanilla. The only thing I wish is they made a sealer to spray on the painted images so they wouldn't run if the slightest bit of liquid gets on it. It always worries me that the cake will get ruined. You can also paint with luster dust, same concept, just mix it with clear vanilla or alcohol.

jmaho1171 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmaho1171 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 6

I want to THANK you both for your great advise!! Thanks Again

yangers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yangers Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 6

You are very welcome!!!

Amy

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:34am
post #6 of 6

I just did a 11" x 7" fondant plaque of Optimus Prime (a Transformer) - very detailed - and I painted it using gel colours mixed with vodka and a few cakes-only paint brushes. It worked really well. I think my vision has been permanently messed up (and I already have glasses!) from doing such crazy detail, but the final product was worth it. I haven't posted pics yet as I have not yet made the actual cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%