Wilton Bake Even Strips

Decorating By beth2027 Updated 28 Feb 2009 , 1:14pm by beth2027

beth2027 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:24am
post #1 of 7

I've been using these for a while now and really liked them. I know some people don't really care for them, but they have always worked for me.
But has anyone ever had them catch FIRE???? icon_eek.gif Tonight I had one catch fire. Luckily, I caught it pretty quick and was able to put the fire out and save the cake. icon_redface.gif But I haven't ever heard of this happening before.
I'm wondering if it's because they were getting kind of old and worn. Could that have been it?? icon_cry.gif

6 replies
-Tubbs Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:38am
post #2 of 7

Wow icon_eek.gif . I just bought some. It does say on the packaging to stay close to the oven when using them. Do you think it's possible that you forgot to wet one? I can't see how it could catch fire otherwise... icon_confused.gif

alene Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 8:29am
post #3 of 7

I've just started using them. They do say to make sure that you saturate them before using.

veejaytx Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 9:33am
post #4 of 7

They definitely have to be well saturated. I usually put mine in to soak when I start mixing my cake, and weight them down so they are totally submerged.

I never had one catch fire, but have had them be very dry when the cake was done. I guess if your cake baked for an extra long time it might have gotten too dry. Also, if they are getting old and worn, they may not be holding the moisture as well as they should anymore.

Glad you were able to save the cake!

londonpeach Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 7

icon_surprised.gif I can't believe it caught fire....I've only just bought mine and used them once.

I was worried and mine was really really soaked.

Glad you caught it on time thumbs_up.gif

miss_sweetstory Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 7

I had a bake even strip catch fire years ago. ( I use the magi-cake brand). Turned out that one of the "tails" dropped down through the rack and touched the element. I've never had another problem and I use some really old ones. In a pinch I've even used saturated towels without issues.

beth2027 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 7

I saturated them, but the cake did bake extra long. And there is also the possibility that a tail dropped down through the rack becuase I used 2 strips together because it was an extra long tail. I may have just learned my lesson... icon_redface.gif

Well, I guess just let it be a warning to you guys. icon_rolleyes.gif Apparently I have to buy some new strips now....

Quote by @%username% on %date%