Writing With Ri On Cookies

Baking By HeidiCrumbs Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 3:44pm by TracyLH

HeidiCrumbs Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:52am
post #1 of 14

If this has been talked about recently sorry, just please post me the link.

I have a really really hard time writing on my cookies with the piping bag. I either don't have the frosting consistency right, it's too thick or too thin, or my curves, like the letters "B" "C" or especially "S" never get the curve into them. Most times I pipe a little string and while it's still all connected I will just lay it down into the shape I want, if that makes sense, but it doesn't always work. I really want to practice on wedding cake cookies with names and dates, but I don't feel confident yet. Can anyone offer tips or ways to do it I may not have thought of? Oh, and I usually use a #1 tip for writing but I just got #0 and #00 but have not tried them yet.

Does anyone do elaborate wedding cake cookies? I would love to see pictures.

13 replies
Tug Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:12am
post #2 of 14

Which frosting are you using?

kneadacookie Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:13am
post #3 of 14

i use a #1. i have a 00, but it doesn't work with toba's glace. it works a lot better with royal.
with a lot of my lines, i do the same thing you do...connect it to the cookie and then lift up and let it flow. i have found through lots of practice, that sometimes you just need to connect it again. like when you get to the outside loops of your B, it needs to touch again. i hope that makes sense.
practice makes perfect!!!

MaryAnnPriest Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:14am
post #4 of 14

I use tip #1 and Antonia74's RI recipe. I used to use a different RI recipe, but since I tried hers I've never looked back. The consistency is perfect. I love it. Good luck!!

LeckieAnne Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:16am
post #5 of 14

Mostly just practice helped me - but the only hint I can think of that I feel like really helped me was to make sure you don't have the bag very full, especially for small writing. I use disposable bags only like 1/3 full or less.

bakinccc Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:32am
post #6 of 14

The other thing I've noticed is that you really have to squeeze harder when you're going around the curves to fill them out. I usually use a tip #2 for writing.

dandelion56602 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 14

I love antonia's ri. I do thin it a little. I make my own bags out of cellophane (like whimsical bakehouse) and love them and I can control the size of the hole. I think it's harder to pipe w/ a bag and tip.

And practice! Print off some letters/words and put wax paper or cellophane over the paper and pipe. The thicker the ri the slower you need to move your hands. Fast with stiff ri = bends in letters (ask me how I know!)

HeidiCrumbs Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 14

I've been using a thinned out Antonia's RI which I love, except for the taste, but I just am having a really hard time with writing. I have also started using a zip lock baggie with a tiny corner cut out and for some reason like it better than the piping bags with tips. How wierd is that? I feel like the plastic is so much thinner which gives me better control and I can only fill it with a few Tbsps and not feel guilty that I'm wasting a Wilton bag. I like them for flooding too. I bought all of the Wilton stuff and i like the dollar store baggies best, go figure!

I think I need to find the absolute perfect consistency becuase sometimese my writing has peaks when I lift the bag off and I don't like that which makes me think the icing is too thick, and sometimes it's too thin and it just puddles into blobs. Practice makes perfect I guess.

sugarwishes Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 14

I find using a parchment paper bag instead of one of those big bags is much easier to use for intricate details or writing, it gives me much better control over what im doing.

Twopeasinapod Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 14

I too have the same problem sometimes of it curling and messing up. I have just been practicing on how to hold the bag and how much pressure to use. I have found that right before I make a curve if I get a little closer to the item it helps to grab hold and then I move back out a little. I don't know if that makes sense or not. All I can really say is, you'll have to find your own groove! icon_wink.gif

LeckieAnne Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:01am
post #11 of 14

You can tamp the peaks down if you get them with a small damp paintbrush.

JenWhitlock Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:25pm
post #12 of 14

sounds like you already have a feel for the behavior of the different consistencies of icing. so you just need to keep practicing! practice on wax paper or something (if you work quickly you can scrape it back into a bowl and use it again) I would start practicing with a #2, so that you don't get that frustrating curl that sometimes happens with the small tips.

I too tack the icing to a spot then pull up and drag the rope around. the height of my tip above the cookie depends on the circumference of the arc. so, for big circles it's pretty high, for little circles in letters it's closer - so that I can come back down and touch it at the end. does that make sense?

also, make sure that you are stabilizing you piping hand with you other hand. I usually have a couple fingers touching the bag for stablization. check out this photo of the amazing Nancy:

HeidiCrumbs Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:28pm
post #13 of 14

So THAT's Nancy!! Now I have a face (sort of) to put with her - there are no words good enough - cookies. YEAH! Does she come on this board? Just curious.

This should maybe be another topic, but also when I frost my cookies, I hold them in one hand so I only have one hand free to pipe with. That maybe isn't a good thing hey? I don't like setting them down on a pan or table to ice them, I feel like I can get closer and like being able to tilt or move the cookie to where I want it to go. Does anybody else hold onto them?

TracyLH Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:44pm
post #14 of 14

Jen - Oh, my gosh! That pic totally helps me! I never thought to do that! dunce.gif (Smacking my forehead like a V-8 commercial!) Ah, so that is Nancy! Seeing her picture almost makes her seem like she is almost like the rest of us mortals. icon_lol.gif ... almost! icon_lol.gif

Heidi - I always, always have my cookie down on the counter. Once upon a time, I held with one hand and decorated with the other and gave that up long ago. I understand wanting to be closer to the cookie. One thing I do (when I remember) is to put a box on the counter and cover it with wax paper and place my cookie on that. It brings the cookie up higher and it really helps me a lot. I am also trying to prevent stooping over too much.

For RI writing, it sounds like you have all the hints. I will say that the actual look of the writing does not come natural to me. Some people can just grab the bag and write way in a lovely manner. Not me. icon_sad.gif So what I do to combat that is to print up my wording in a font I like in the size I like. I print it up, cover it with wax paper and go over it a few times. Once I feel pretty decent about it, I practice without the wording underneath and then try it on the cookie. It does take extra time, but that is what I need to do to make it work. That is how I did needed to do the wording on my wine cookies, so as someone who is 'RI writing challenged', this works for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%