QueenOfSweets Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:01am
post #1 of

I recently had an order booked for basic cupcakes (swirl of icing and sprinkles or simple decorations) for a boy's 13th birthday. I have complete freedom to decorate however I wish. His favorite colors are green, blue, and red in that order. I'm thinking about doing a two-color 1M swirl in blue and green, but I've never done a bicolor swirl before. Do any of you have any suggestions for how to do a bicolor swirl? Are there any other ideas that might be good? I'd appreciate any help!

Alysa

8 replies
SpringFlour Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:11am
post #2 of

icon_lol.gif Put blue icing in the left half of your piping bag, green icing in the right half. Just squeeze a little out until you have blue and green coming out (sort of) equally. Tilt the bag sideways as you fill it to make it a bit easier to control where the icing goes.

tree45 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:23am
post #3 of

Use 3 disposable bags...
In bag one fill it half way with blue
Bag two half way with green
Put both bags into the third bag and cut the tip.....
Works like a charm and its evenly dispersed!
good luck and happy cup caking!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Rcrewof10 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:24am
post #4 of

Another suggestion would be paint the inside of the bag with the 3 colors in a triangular form and then add icing. You would end up with all 3 colors.

You might even try doing what SpringFlour said and adding the 3rd color by stripping the bag with that 3rd color.

HTH

Michele

Carlymoon Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:26am
post #5 of

I would just use a brush to stripe your piping bag with the icing color, then fill with white icing to get a cool striped look when you pipe. I have a pic of pink/purple cupcakes I just did in my profile photos to give you a better idea if you haven't seen that before. (I did 4 thick stripes, two of each color). Good Luck!

jlynnw Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:54am
post #6 of

you can also stripe the bag. drop a gel color down the side of the bag turn the bag and drop again add white icing and pipe.

andpotts Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:46am
post #7 of

Along the same lines of what Tree45 suggested, you can easily do swirls using the frosting plug/cartridge method, works like a charm for regular and multi color swirls. Here's a link to the sticky post, it includes pictures. Good luck! Andrea

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-588591.html

butterfly831915 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:58am
post #8 of

you could do something like the cuppies in my picts. just a thought.

QueenOfSweets Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:39pm
post #9 of

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. I really like the idea of the icing plugs with multiple colors so I think I'm going to give that a try first. I'll be sure to post the pics of the final project!

Alysa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%