Dogwood Flower Blossoms - Help Please

Business By tarheel Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 9:36pm by Rosie2

tarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheel Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 18

I need to learn...quickly....how to make some dogwood flower blossoms to go on top of cupcakes. (200-225 individual blossoms!)

I done a little with royal icing...never worked with gumpaste....any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated....I looked at buying them but the cheapest I saw was at least 50 cents each!

Thanks in advance for your input and suggestions!

17 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 18

Wow. That's a lot of blossoms! an open rose cutter can be used as a dogwood blossom. I just used the open rose on this cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1322183
You can see how you would also get a dogwood blossom out of it? I'd use either fondant or gumpaste (easy to use, just dries quicker than fondant) and would pipe the centers with royal icing. If you have time and don't have a cutter like that, you can order it from global sugar art. Hope that helps. Maybe someone else out there has made one without a cutter...?

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 18

You can make them with crusting BC, but they will be fragile and need a day or two to dry. RI would be more sturdy, but if you are more comfortable with BC, it can be done!

Basically, you want to start in the middle of your flower nail. With a petal tip, the wide part OUT, narrow point in the center of the nail you start piping with bag straight up and down. Move the bag up and out, then back to center - kind of a wide daisy leaf. Do this again with the same starting point, but in the other direction next, so you have a basically made heart... Hope this makes sense. The overall motion is making a heart, keep that in mind.

Rotate your flower nail 90 degrees and make another petal. You need 4 petals per flower.

Use the grass tip for the center. Real Dogwood blossoms have a lime green colored center. Then you'll want to make some diluted brown-red food coloring and paint a little dot in the joint of each of your petals (where the two curves meet).

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 18

To go on cuppies they are very simple to make from gp &/or fondant.
If you have any teardrop cutter at all just cut for petals per flower. To 'vein' them you can press a comb or anything ribbed on the petal. Put them together w/a ball of fondant for a center. Actually more accurate would be a pile of icing string. Here is a pic of a cake I made where they are used. Look at either end of the 'path' to see them.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1317620

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 18

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/DogwoodCake/DogwoodCake.htm

Here is a pic of a dogwood flower press/cutter and how to use it.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 18

if you ever made a primrose like in course 11 with royal icing... then you could use this method to make the dogwood... with buttercream... you use tip #104... big end of tip at middle of flower nail... little end toward end of nail... pressure good.. start from middle.. move tip out... come in some.. then back out... then back to starting point. pressuring good all along.... line the petals up to have 4 petals.. make all 4 this way.. then use grass tip for center...then put a little brown color where you indented it... does this make sense... some people make each petal on a mound make with tip 104.. if you want larger ones .. then use tips 124.. 125... etc... roland winbeckler has a beautiful book on buttercream flowers.. linda reese has a cd on beautiful buttercream flowers , beautiful backgrounds, etc.. hold the thin end of 104 tip uo a little.. not flat on the nail.. maybe once you practice.. then just pipe them directly on the cupcakes. hth

tarheel Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 12:00am
post #7 of 18

Thanks for all the responses. Does anyone know where you can order/buy the dogwood cutter and silicon flower center mold that is shown in the post above?

Thanks again!

tarheel Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 12:24am
post #8 of 18

I'm going to try the buttercream methods as soon as I finish the cake I'm working on tonight..but I would like to try the kind shown with the cutter and silicon method too.

If anyone know where to buy/order please let me know.

Again, thanks for the great information!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:32am
post #9 of 18

They've 28 cents each at www.discountsugarflowers.com. I buy nearly all my gumpaste flowers from www.avalondeco.com. Their prices aren't posted online, though they are always right about the same as discount sugar flowers.

Justbeck101 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:25am
post #10 of 18

http://www. beryls. com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7338

I think this is the right link. I can't bring it up to see on my pc, internet problems here!

take out the spaces

Justbeck101 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:28am
post #11 of 18

http:// www.beryls. com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67_226&products_id=7338

HERE IS THE RIGHT ONE

kiltedcook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiltedcook Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:13pm
post #12 of 18

You can also order a cutter and silicon veiner from Nicholas Lodge, International Sugar Art Collection 800-662-8925.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:19pm
post #13 of 18

This is one of my favorite CC cakes with the peaches and dogwood blossoms -- she did an awesome job! icon_biggrin.gif http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1171134

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:15pm
post #14 of 18

A cheap way to vein the petals is to use a corn husk (like what you use to make tamales.)

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:21pm
post #15 of 18

I know this is an old thread but anyone knows where to find a dogwood cutter...I found individual but I'm looking for a set.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:10am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

I know this is an old thread but anyone knows where to find a dogwood cutter...I found individual but I'm looking for a set.

Try GSA, that's where I found mine.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:37am
post #17 of 18

This is the one I used. It is available from lots of different sources. http://www.ahcakedesign.com/sv-015.html

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:36pm
post #18 of 18

Thank you very much Bobwonderbuns and Mbt4955---I found the cutters separate(2 sizes) at Nicholas Lodge website although, they didn't come with the impression mold icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%