Need Help/ Treasure Box Cake

Decorating By cgcreation Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 10:27pm by JodieF

cgcreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgcreation Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 4

I want to make a treasure box cake with the lid open. I see instructions here to us styrofoam lids, however, I would like to use cake. This is for a cake sale at my school and would prefer for everything to be edible. I found a how to article at familyfun.com but couldn't make sense of it.

Can anyone help or least point me in the right direction?

Thank you all![/code]

3 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 4

I did a treasure chest with an open lid, but I used rice krispies for the lid but I don't see any reason you couldn't do it out of cake too. All I did was put the rice krispies on their own cake board and then put dowels of differing heights underneath to prop it up, then I took 3 long dowels and sharpened the ends and stuck them through the lid (in the back where it touched the bottom cake) and down into the bottom cake going through the cake board the lid is on. That will keep the lid in place and keep it from sliding. It's also easier to add some candy "treasure" before adding the lid and then fill in around the front once the lid is on. HTH

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 4

I did the same exact method Khalstead describes.. twice. works beautifully.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 4

For my treasure chest I used a layer of cake for the lid, with RKT for the dome shaped top of the lid. It was all on a cake board.

Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%