Imbc Questions - Urgent!!!

Decorating By dmich Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 6:18pm by prterrell

dmich Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 9

I wanted to fill a cake with a raspberry IMBC. However, after reading some other IMBC-related posts I am wondering if I will be adding too much water into the IMBC by putting in pureed frozen (and defrosted) raspberries. I was hoping to use the raspberry IMBC as a filling, crumb coat the cake with regular buttercream and cover in fondant. What do you think?

Also, how long can IMBC stand at room temp? I didn't want to refrigerate the cake after I covered it in fondant.

Thanks so much!

8 replies
Toptier Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 9

Here's what I would do - boil your defrosted raspberries until the liquid is quite reduced (you are boiling off the water as steam) -and concentrating the flavor. Once this has cooled down, add to your imbc in small amounts, tasting until you reach the flavor you want.

IMBC can actually take quite a bit of liquid. It can stay at room temp for at least 36 hours.

HTH icon_smile.gif

vixterfsu Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 9

I've never added the puree, it sounds good. I usually add a jam
to the IMBC. Toptiers Idea is also good too.

FromScratch Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 9

I use SMBC and I add raspberry puree to it all the time. It can take quite a bit, especially if it's just going to be used for a filling. It is an amazing flavor... much better than jam (which isn't too bad either). I cook the berries with a little sugar and run that through a seive to get the seeds out (noone wants the seeds believe me) and then thicken it up with some cornstarch dissolved in some lemon juice. Let that cool to room temp and add it to you SMBC/IMBC until you get a good raspberry flavor.

dmich Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you so much for your replies! I will start cooking those berries.

WowWeeBee Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 9

So...stupid question...I am a newbie and I don't know what SMBC and IMBC is. I get the Buttercream but I don't get the rest...help. Sorry to have such a stupid question.

dmich Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 9

Not a stupid question.

IMBC = Italian Meringue Buttercream
SMBC = Swiss Meringue Buttercream

dmich Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 9

Here's a list of CC acronyms to make things easier:

http://CakeCentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

prterrell Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 9

For fruit-flavored IMBC, I sub 1 cup of seedless jam for 1 cup of the sugar and 1/4 cup of the water in the syrup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%