Silver Fondant

Decorating By rebew10 Updated 28 Feb 2009 , 7:22am by ceshell

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 20
  • what is the best way to get a good silver color for fondant?
19 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 20

The easiest way is with an airbrush. Lucks and chefmaster both have silver airbrush colors.

yangers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yangers Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 20

I don't really know, hopefully someone else can help you more than I can. But I would try coloring the fondant gray and then dusting it with silver luster dust. I'm also curious to know.

Amy

rebew10 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 20

I currently do not own an airbrush system, so is there any other way to do this?

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebew10

I currently do not own an airbrush system, so is there any other way to do this?

Ditto... icon_smile.gif

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 20

I start with light-med gray fondant. Then I use a either the PME Lustre spray pearl or super pearl luster and nu silver luster combined and painted or dusted on. 2parts super pearl to 1 part nu silver.

Susie53 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 20

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

rebew10 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 20

Thanks.....I'll have to try that!

SugarChic24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarChic24 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 20

I used a luster spray in gold before and it worked great unfortunatly i checked global sugar art where i got it from and they dont have silver. Maybe they'll have it on a different site? i cant see why they would have gold and bronze and not silver. iF all else fails I would use the sliver luster dust on grey fondant also. You can mix it with a clear alcohol ( like vodka) to a loose paste and it will have more of a "liquid metal" efect rather then a shimmery one if you used it dry. Good Luck!

SugarChic24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarChic24 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 20

One more thing if you do find the luster spray make sure to orderenough. I only bought one can for mine and I only got through most of the decorations, wished I had ordered another can, or two.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:32pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebew10

Ditto... icon_smile.gif

I just ordered one from KopyKake this afternoon...yeah! Sorry to hijack, just been putting it off forever!

rebew10 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:36pm
post #12 of 20

That's more of what I need(liquid metal) than shimmery. Thanks for the tip! I'll have to work with it to get the right silver.....got until June.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:47pm
post #13 of 20

I'm making a silver purse crown buckle today I couldn;t get my airbrush to work so I painted white fondant w/3 coats of silver luster dust and a alittle rumn since I didn't have vodka. Looks ok I guess I will post picture if I can.

Susie53 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:48pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarChic24

I used a luster spray in gold before and it worked great unfortunatly i checked where i got it from and they dont have silver. Maybe they'll have it on a different site? i cant see why they would have gold and bronze and not silver. iF all else fails I would use the sliver luster dust on grey fondant also. You can mix it with a clear alcohol ( like vodka) to a loose paste and it will have more of a "liquid metal" efect rather then a shimmery one if you used it dry. Good Luck!

I'm not sure, but I think you use the lustre spray pearl on grey fondant for the silver look.

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:48pm
post #15 of 20

http://www.fancyflours.com/silver-glaze.html

I have this in gold, silver and pearls, this works great on accents.

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:50pm
post #16 of 20
Susie53 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:51pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarChic24

I used a luster spray in gold before and it worked great unfortunatly i checked where i got it from and they dont have silver. Maybe they'll have it on a different site? i cant see why they would have gold and bronze and not silver. iF all else fails I would use the sliver luster dust on grey fondant also. You can mix it with a clear alcohol ( like vodka) to a loose paste and it will have more of a "liquid metal" efect rather then a shimmery one if you used it dry. Good Luck!

I'm not sure, but I think you use the lustre spray pearl on grey fondant for the silver look.

That should be gray fondant...not grey. icon_redface.gif

Susie53 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=10001&trng=fgle

Here's your silver spray.

Wow...that stuff is expensive!!! icon_eek.gif

Susie53 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:58pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

http://www.fancyflours.com/silver-glaze.html

I have this in gold, silver and pearls, this works great on accents.

Thanks, I'll have to order some...wish I could order the airbrush system, but that will have to wait...but I hope not too long. Are they easy to use?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:22am
post #20 of 20

FYI the new "platinum dusts" which are food-grade and truly edible, work great for this too. You do HAVE to color your fondant gray (or grey! LOL, both are correct) because the dust itself is actually kind of pearly white with a silver shimmer. At first I thought they sent me the wrong stuff. But painted on with Everclear it makes perfect silver - I just did a cake with silver weapons. The color is Brilliant Silver btw.

For a whole cake I'd still lean towards anything involving an airbrush if possible, because you get better coverage, but if you don't have one and aren't in the market to get one, just paint it on. Of course if you can get that glaze, wow that sounds great. I have not tried the glaze yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%