Storage For You Cookie Cutters?

Baking By MamaYogi Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 3:03pm by GeminiRJ

MamaYogi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaYogi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 21

Surely one of you has this all figured out to keep your cookie cutters very neat, organized and easy to find? Please let me know how you store them? TIA! Right now mine are all in a big plastic tub and a PIA to find what I am looking for!

20 replies
Melonie1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melonie1005 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 21

Thanks for asking this question. I would love to know also. I have over 200 and the plastic shoe boxes I use are just not working. I keep forgetting which ones I have.

zamku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zamku Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 21

How about using smaller tubs and sorting them all by shapes: eg, flowers in one, animals in the other, shpaes in yet another and so on, and then labelling all the tubs?
HTH

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 21

i bought a cabinet thing from target that has a bunch of small drawers in it...it allows me to separate them by holiday, and then by common shapes

i'm looking for a link on the website, but i'm having problems finding it

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 21

I only have about 20, so I got a remnant piece of pegboard and some pegboard hooks from Home Depot and hung them on it. It's how the local supply store displays their cutters, too.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Supdupj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Supdupj Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 21

I have attempted to organize mine by theme (usually month or holiday) and then store them in those $1 plastic shoe containers. They stack well in my shelves and help me find stuff easiter (labeled and organized and can see through

Supdupj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Supdupj Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 21

I have attempted to organize mine by theme (usually month or holiday) and then store them in those $1 plastic shoe containers. They stack well in my shelves and help me find stuff easiter (labeled and organized and can see through

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 21

First, I tried to log all my cookie cutters on an excel sheet for easy referencing.

And as far as storage I, like others, seperate cutters my shape/holiday and hook related cookie cutters on a wire and hang. It is a bit hard to explain, but I preferred this rather than having them in ziploc bags or boxes because I can readily see all I have and it seems neater to me because they are all on display.

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 21

I have mine in a small set of plastic drawers (cheap ones from Walmart type of thing), and have tried to put them in some sort of theme, but have also written down what is in what drawer. It means that when I open up one drawer, I can just see by looking at the written list what's in there.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 21

I have tons of cookie cutters so I bought a few of those plastic organizers that are on wheels and have drawers in them. I labeled each drawer for each holiday then other categories, depends on what types you have. Now I have no problem finding them. I also have just one orgainizer for all my sprinkles. If you want a picture, pm me and I will send you one.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:38am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by thin4life

I have tons of cookie cutters so I bought a few of those plastic organizers that are on wheels and have drawers in them. I labeled each drawer for each holiday then other categories, depends on what types you have. Now I have no problem finding them. I also have just one orgainizer for all my sprinkles. If you want a picture, pm me and I will send you one.

I will PM for a picture, but would you mind sharing your category breakdown. I have mine in cardboard craft boxes (the ones often used for photos) and sorted by holiday etc, but I have a bunch that I'm not sure how to categorize, like paintbrush, tooth, etc. Just want to see everyone elses categories.

Thanks for this post, perfect timing, I've been making an Excel cookie cutter log and trying to organize/label my boxes this week.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:03am
post #12 of 21

I have several hundred cutters and after the first 100 shoe boxes, I have tried and tried but have not found anything that works. I even tried the filing cabinet. Friends always think it is a good idea to give me a cutter for celebrations or from there vacations. I haven't used half!

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:08am
post #13 of 21

Andpotts:

The types of categories I use are holidays, animals, flowers/plants, shapes (sub categories in this one because i think i have 20 heart cutters alone), wedding, household, jobs, transportation, sports, baby, and I do have a misc for cutters that i dont' have enough of to make its own category.

Hope that helps!

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 11:04pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by calivettie

Andpotts:

The types of categories I use are holidays, animals, flowers/plants, shapes (sub categories in this one because i think i have 20 heart cutters alone), wedding, household, jobs, transportation, sports, baby, and I do have a misc for cutters that i dont' have enough of to make its own category.

Hope that helps!

Thank you, Just what I was looking for! Andrea

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:44am
post #15 of 21

Here is how I store my cookie cutters and I think I got the idea from someone here on cake central. I buy my containers at Wal Mart, they have the best price on these type of containers. I have each drawer labeled. One of the carts is just strictly sprinkles. One of them is all Christmas. I need to buy one more becuase I still don't have enough room for all of them.
LL

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:05pm
post #16 of 21

I did what Thinforlife did with the plastic carts. I tried to catalog the cutters but I gave up after the first 200 or so. I had an index card velcroed to the side of the drawer with a listing of what was in there. It was so much work and I decided to ditch it. I have about 15 different size hearts, easter bunnies, etc. it just shows you how ridiculous the obsession is! Even with them organized by theme I have still bought duplicates. I just forget what I have. I should do what calivettie did with the excel spreadsheet, but that's a lot of work too! icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:55pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by calivettie

First, I tried to log all my cookie cutters on an excel sheet for easy referencing.

Hmmm...my sons are in school for accounting. This looks like an excellent Spring Break project for them to do for their dear ol' mom!

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:50pm
post #18 of 21

Gemini, that's sons plural?? if there are two then let one of them work on yours and the other one can work on mine!!! I'll send over the info. better yet, I'll take a picture and they can work with that. he,he!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:10pm
post #19 of 21

I think that is the answer, photos! MY DD just took all the cutters out and arranged them by theme, holiday, season, etc. and took a picture of them. they are then put on a 1/4 sheet board with a big rubber band that holds them in place. They are placed in legal sized filing cabinets that have the pictures in front. Each drawer is labeled. Not sure if this will work, but her OCD self did not like how I had it and she FIXED it for me. icon_redface.gif

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:27pm
post #20 of 21

I did the spreadsheet for all of my cake pans too. Then I numbered the bins. Much easier.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:03pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeverly

Gemini, that's sons plural?? if there are two then let one of them work on yours and the other one can work on mine!!! I'll send over the info. better yet, I'll take a picture and they can work with that. he,he!

Yep, I have identical twin boys who are both majoring in accounting. (That's where the "Gemini" comes from). And that idea about taking photos strikes me as a pretty neat idea! I have a bit of OCD myself, and I cringe every time I go looking for a cookie cutter. They're a jumbled mess!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%