Advice:how Long Can Whip Cream Stay Out Of Fridge

Decorating By kellycat102938 Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm by -K8memphis

kellycat102938 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellycat102938 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 4

I have a cake that has crusting cream cheese icing on the outside. In between layers I have whip cream. How long should I take this out of the fridge before eating. I was always told to have it out at room temp before serving. Not sure how long that would take, and not sure if this is a good idea for the icing or the whip cream.
Any thoughts
Kelly

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellycat102938

I have a cake that has crusting cream cheese icing on the outside. In between layers I have whip cream. How long should I take this out of the fridge before eating. I was always told to have it out at room temp before serving. Not sure how long that would take, and not sure if this is a good idea for the icing or the whip cream.
Any thoughts
Kelly

The deal with hazardous ingredients like cream cheese and whipped cream is that they have a four hour window to be out of the frige before beginning to break down. So, figure 30 mins to take it off the shelf at the store and get it home to the frige. Maybe 30 minutes to make into icing or whip into whipped cream and fill the cake, get it iced and decorated--so you got 3 hours left.

That's my understanding of how the health dept boys calculate that.
That's how I do it.

kellycat102938 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellycat102938 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 4

I was more thinking how long should I take the cake out of the fridge so it will taste good, not keeping it out too long that the whip cream or cream cheese icing melts

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellycat102938

I was more thinking how long should I take the cake out of the fridge so it will taste good, not keeping it out too long that the whip cream or cream cheese icing melts

It won't melt at that point, that's when it starts to go bad when bacteria start kicking it up a notch

If you want to get a chilled cake to room temperature then it woud take about an hour, give or take. If you just cut slices off to get to room temp, much less time like 10, 15 minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%