Quick! Give Me Some Advice - I'm Sick!

Decorating By tuffstuff Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 10:40pm by tuffstuff

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 10

I have a stomach bug that I've had since Wednesday. I thought surely I'd be over it by the weekend. I have a cake due on Sunday and I don't know if I should still make it! (Today is Friday - I went home from work early because I was still feeling so bad).
Do I just make it anyway?
Do I inform my coworker and let her decide if she still wants the cake?
Do I just tell her I can't do it because I'm sick?

Other coworkers know that I've been sick and I'm afraid they'll mention it at the party and then the cake buyer will be like "gross!".

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question! Help me! She's going to be returning my call soon!

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 10

Hmm, that's a toughie---you contageous?
If not I'd do it if I felt like it--I mean if I had enough strength.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 10

OK - i would call co-worker and ask if she still wants it, if and only if you feel up to making it.

I have had to cancel a cake before b/c I got sick. I thought, better to have no cake then flu cake!

tuffstuff Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 10

I don't know if I'm contageous. I officially have "gastroenteritis". Which can be viral or bacterial. I wasn't told which I have.

osorio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
osorio Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 10

If you are felling really bad, I think that you shouldn´t do it. And I think you are on time to tell them so they can get the cake somewhere else.

Hope you feel better !

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 10

If you still want to make the cake - wear a surgical type mask to help with any germ transfer issues - and wash, wash, wash your hands.

I've tooo have been sick for about 10 days now (not stomach though)....not only did I not want to pass anything to anyone, I also just didn't have the energy to bake. Thank goodness I didn't have any special order cakes or cookies this week....I have missed out though on customers who stopped by for something sweet and there's been nothing on the shelves. They're pretty understanding though - better safe than sorry!

I hope you feel better soon....

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 10

I think I'd let the person ordering it determine if they want it or not.......if you feel up to making it in the first place

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 10

Those little tummy bugs are nasty. Are you or have you been running fever. More than likely, your contagious. I see it all the time working in a pediatric office.

Stephanie

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 10

If I had a stomach ache and felt up to it I would do it.

If I were vomiting or had diarrhea then, no I wouldn't do it. That IMO is where you have the most risk of making someone else sick.

If it is an "just" an ache wear a mask, wash hands, wear gloves as much as possible and the cake should be fine.

I hope your co-worker is understanding about the whole thing. Even bakes/cooks get sick. That's life.

Sending you a hug and wishes to get well soon!! icon_smile.gif

tuffstuff Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:40pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for your replies, guys. You made me feel better about cancelling.
She called and I explained the situation. She was cool with it, of course. (though I still feel awful).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%