Need Advice Again Quick!

Decorating By patticake1956 Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 7:50pm by leah_s

patticake1956 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 11

I made (2) 14x3" round Choclate WASC cakes that I want to be my 1st tier of a 2 tier cake. The other tier will be (2) 10x3" rounds. The cakes came out beautifully. However, I am concerned with the weight of one cake on top of the other for the larger cakes. I leveled them and they are each about 2" tall. Will they hold up or sink into each other? Before I fill them, I would like to be sure. Should I bring them down another inch?

10 replies
leah_s Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 11

Waitaminit. You're planning to support the upper tier, right?

I personally truly hate 3" deep pans, and generally speaking most people use them torted, sometimes even torted twice.

patticake1956 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 11

Yes, I plan to support the top tier with dowels in the bottom tier. I'm just concerned that the weight of the top layer of the bottom tier might get smushed. I hope you understand.

leah_s Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 11

Nope, sorry, not understanding at all. There is no weight transferred from the upper tier to the lower tier, if supported properly. None.

With apologies, perhaps I'm having a blond moment. And I did apologize first.

patticake1956 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 11

Sorry, this is hard to explain. I'm not concerned with the weight of the top tier on the bottom. I am worried about the weight of the top Layer of the bottom tier being too heavy for the bottom Layer of the bottom tier. I hope you get me. I didn't torte the layers. I am using 2 cakes and will fill in between. icon_confused.gif It' confusing to write it down,

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 11

Ohhhh...I get it. Ummm, no it shouldn't be a problem. I rarely torte anymore either, I bake in two pans for each tier, ice the top of one (for the filling) and stack the second cake on top of that. I have not ever had this be a problem. Make sure you use a stiff dam to keep the filling from squishing out.

lasidus1 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 11

oh i understand now what you're saying. there are 4 layers of this cake making up 2 tiers, right?

i don't see any problem in the bottom tier where it would not be able to support itself. both layers of that tier are the same sort of cake, and 2 inches isn't an unusual amount of weight to support. i don't believe there should be a problem with the first tier imploding or anything.

be sure that whatever supports you end up using for your second tier are all cut to the same height, and are tall enough that the weight of the top tier is on those, not the cake below. you should be fine icon_smile.gif

sweet1122 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 11

I think that because the cakes are the same diameter you're okay. You should, I believe, only have an issue when you're dealing with cakes of different diameters. I'm a math teacher and pretty new... I don't use 3 inch pans, so I hope someone can help you out! Good luck!

KathyTW Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 11

You have to put a cake circle or foam board or something under the top layer that sits on top of the supports in the bottom layer - as Leahs said, if it's done right the top layer has no way to "sink" into the bottom layer because of the way it's supported

patticake1956 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 11

Phew!! You guys are the best. Just needed some reassurance that this thing was going to work this way. Thanks agian so much. I will post a picture once done. Tomorrow I hope. icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:50pm
post #11 of 11

OK, got it now. Nope, no problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%