Fondant Taste ?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 10:34pm by xstitcher

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 11

Im new to cake baking and decorating....and had a basic question!

Dont you find the taste of fondant not very appealing? I find it bland?
I guess because I am use to buttercream. Ive done lots of cake decorating with bc..but am wanting to use fondant now because it looks better!!! And you can do so much more with it!!!

10 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 11

I don't like pre-made fondatn, either. I've tried Satin Ice, Sweet Inspirations, and Fondarific (in vanilla and buttercream flavors).

I make MMF and use LoRann butter flavored candy oils (they are super strength). It tastes better than Fondarific's buttercream flavor, IMO. I also add 1 teaspoon popcorn salt to cut the overpowering sweetness of the powdered sugar and add glycerine to make it more pliable.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 11

I recently made some MMF using the strawberry marshmallows that were on sale during Valentine's, and it was delicious! icon_biggrin.gif Of course, then you are limited to pink/red, but it is worth it!

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 11

I was at the Austin Cake show a couple of years ago and one of the ladies Ruth (sorry I don't know her last name) said to knead a little buttercream into your fondant and it will make the flavor better and it easier to work w/.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 11

I use Satin Ice and really like the flavor. I've tried making my own with Michele Foster's Fondant recipe and it is delicious!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 11

I like Macsmom's MMF recipe, I started using it exclusively a few months ago. Thanks Macsmom icon_smile.gif

Pickulz you should give it a try, I think the texture is a lot nicer then the store bought pre-made stuff. You can play around with flavorings also. I find it very easy to roll out and work with also.

Let's face it.........it's ok to pop a piece in our mouths but most pull it off their piece of cake. It's chewy, that's my issue with it, not so much that it doesn't taste good. I just don't want my icing to be more chewy then my cake......kwim? icon_lol.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

I've tried making my own with Michele Foster's Fondant recipe and it is delicious!

Extra tasty with white chocolate added to it but yes dkelly I have to agree with you about the "chewiness" factor but then again I'm not a big icing person either. Too sweet for me. Mind you I do have a little bit just because I made it icon_lol.gif .

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I like Macsmom's MMF recipe, I started using it exclusively a few months ago. Thanks Macsmom icon_smile.gif

Pickulz you should give it a try, I think the texture is a lot nicer then the store bought pre-made stuff. You can play around with flavorings also. I find it very easy to roll out and work with also.

Let's face it.........it's ok to pop a piece in our mouths but most pull it off their piece of cake. It's chewy, that's my issue with it, not so much that it doesn't taste good. I just don't want my icing to be more chewy then my cake......kwim? icon_lol.gif

Thanks dkelly! icon_biggrin.gif Yeah, the chewy-ness is what turns most people off. That's why I tried to make one that tasted like BC, lol! At least the kids like to peel it off and eat it...

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm
post #9 of 11

I actually don't like the taste of fondant either & I've always made it from scratch. To me it was too sweet & I didn'tlike the texture. The past week I made Macsmom's MMF for the first time & I am sold!!! The texture is a better & it is not as sweet. I still prefer buttercream, but the MMF does taste good! It was easier to make then traditional fondant & you can make shapes with it m problem. You may want to try that recipe on this sight. By the way, THANKS MACSMOM! icon_smile.gif

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm
post #10 of 11

Perhaps a ROLLED buttercream would give you the look and taste you desire and cut down on the chewiness factor...

Or try my cream cheese fondant... Tasty and not chewy... MMMMM... It's all I use anymore!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7060-0-Cream-Cheese-base-fondant.html

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:34pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaswolf

Perhaps a ROLLED buttercream would give you the look and taste you desire and cut down on the chewiness factor...

Or try my cream cheese fondant... Tasty and not chewy... MMMMM... It's all I use anymore!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7060-0-Cream-Cheese-base-fondant.html

Thanks kansaswolf for the link. I didn't even know that there was a recipe for cream cheese fondant (I love anything to do with cream cheese so I'm sold). I'm definitely going to be giving this one a shot.

MacsMom I've never tried yours either so maybe I will try that after kansaswolf.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%