"well, When My Mom Bakes Cakes..."

Decorating By Cakes_By_Bright Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 12:12pm by grama_j

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:54am
post #31 of 43

This thread is sooo funny! I definitely chafe when DH gives me that song+dance. He finally quit telling me about "his mom's cucumber salad" or cole slaw or whatever, because I told him, well then YOU get the recipe from her and YOU make it! Meanwhile she gave me the recipe for the family holiday hazelnut cake and I very much disliked the icing (think: American chocolate buttercream, which is fine, but they made it with GRANULATED sugar and tossed in a raw egg at the end icon_eek.gif) so I changed it when it was my turn to make it. Both he and his sister were raving that I made that cake the BEST it has EVER been (it's been a family standard for 30 years), it's never been so moist and the icing never so delicious. They asked if I could be sure to make it every year, even when it's not my turn to do Christmas. <<gloat>> icon_biggrin.gif

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:58am
post #32 of 43

I thought it was a spagetti sauce... In my head it was funnier than flour..

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:03am
post #33 of 43

OMG!!! This is too funny!!! I have almost the opposite problem with my MIL. Every time she is around it's "Oh, Michael likes (whatever) THIS way!" All I can think is "That's probably why he left home when he was 15 you silly cow!" Actually, she is nice to have as a MIL, but sometimes.....

Oh, and men only wear pants so that we can tell them apart.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:12am
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

MaryJ, don't you turn into one of THOSE mother-in-laws! (I got my mom finger out, ready and loaded, girl!) icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gif

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:31am
post #35 of 43

I'm picturing a cloud of flour if he would have listened and really turned it up!!! LOL

Coated in flour "honey - it's not getting creamy!"

Judi

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:37am
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderspritzer

The only thing wrong with him is he doesn't know how to close the damn cupboard doors in the kitchen.... lol

Oh my goodness, my husband does the same thing! It drives me crazy! I brought it up once but don't try to say anything now because I choose other battles. (like how when he unloads the dishwasher I can't find where he put anything but it's not where it's supposed to be.) Sometimes he leaves stuff out just because he knows it aggravates me. Instead of putting drink mix back in the pantry he "hides" it in obvious view like under the sugar canister. icon_lol.gif Nevertheless, he's still a keeper. icon_smile.gif

fievel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fievel Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:20am
post #37 of 43

"The only time you can change a man is when he's in diapers" icon_smile.gif

Cakes_By_Bright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes_By_Bright Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:35am
post #38 of 43

I LOVED hearing all of your stories...guess I'm not alone.

Didn't have internet over the weekend, so sorry I didn''t get back to you guys about Presto which as you've read IS a cake flour. I'm just here laughing at everything I've read so far and he asked me what was so funny...I answered something a member wrote about her husband. icon_biggrin.gif

I can't bring it up just yet....I gotta save it for when he comes at me with something. HAHAHAHAHA icon_lol.gif

Just so ya' know, last Saturday we had our Cupcake Tasting Battle and like always he wanted to help out. I gave him enough tasks to keep him busy and out of what I was doing...you know...line the pans, preheat the oven, wash this. icon_wink.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:55am
post #39 of 43

Great story, thanks for sharing
He sounds like a nice guy. I think it's cool that you're (trying to!) work on it together! thumbs_up.gif

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:40pm
post #40 of 43

OK, I have to admit - when I cook with my mother - repeat: MOTHER, not MIL, my contribution is about the same as your boyfriends. I wash the dishes (no dishwasher), cut the ingredients etc. I do no actual cooking. icon_biggrin.gif
My mother is wonderful cook, but the only way I could learn cooking (more than 20 years ago) was when she had had month-long treatments in clinic and/or sanitarium. (She still continues once a year.)
The best I help I could give her in the kitchen was to wash the dishes after the meal and do the ironing while she cooked. icon_smile.gif
We (I and my 2 brothers) used to fear the moment, when we bring the significant other.
BUT - she gets along with my SIL, almost better than with my brother, keeps her mouth shut about my SIL-household/cooking/raising children.
Why, oh why can't she accept I do cooking / baking / sewing my way? She doesn't bake cakes, doesn't sew, but she has tons of *useful* advice. And she volunteers me - Don't worry, she will sew your curtains / bake a cake for you...
Anybody has THIS problem?

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:17am
post #41 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramw71

MEN!!! Can't live with em... can't line up along the highways to fix our flat tires.. *sigh* LOL

As my sister likes to say, "If batteries could mow lawns, we wouldnt' need men at all!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ohm Debi. I luv ya!!! icon_evil.gificon_lol.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:22am
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_to_decorate

We won't talk about how I had to teach hubby how to grill (you know the thing that men are supose to be born knowing how to do). icon_rolleyes.gif

I think the only thing they actually do is flip the burgers. Don't we usually have to do everything else and they get all the praise icon_lol.gif ?

Ya know, my BF and I went to Home Depot to get a new grill. I wanted charcoal, he wanted gas "Cleaner, etc... . So, after debating I caved and figured if he was going to do the grilling, we'll get gas....... HE CAN'T GRILL!!! found out the first use. I was so tapedshut.gificon_mad.giftapedshut.gif So, I do ALL the grilling and let him know everytiime..... I swear I am going to put charcoal in just to pi$$ him off... icon_biggrin.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:12pm
post #43 of 43

WOMEN'S POEM.....

He didn't like the casserole

And he didn't like my cake.

He said my biscuits were too hard...

Not like his mother used to make.

I didn't perk the coffee right

He didn't like the stew,

I didn't mend his socks

The way his mother used to do.

I pondered for an answer

I was looking for a clue.

Then I turned around and smacked the #^&% out of him...

Like his mother used to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%