Coloring Fondant Or Bc Gold

Decorating By Shaa Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 4:25pm by Shaa

Shaa Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 6

We are hosting and end of the year banquet for my daughters varsity pom squad. I'm going to stick with their school colors and do black and gold. I was wanting to cover the cakes with black and gold fondant but not sure how to make it gold. I had read somewhere to color it ivory then dust it with gold dusting powder but I did that to my Mardi Gras cake and you couldn't see it. So if anyone can help I would be very appreciative.

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 6

What gold dust did you use? If it was Wilton that is why it wasn't good. You have to get highliter dust if you want a real good gold color. W/o the highliter it will never really look golden.

Shaa Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 6

Yes I was using Wilton but I will try a better quality one. I live right by a cake store thank you very much.

CakeMommy3 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 6

I just did a cake with gold fondant, and I actually colored the fondant a golden yellow, and then used gold luster dust (not wilton) and a big fluffy brush to dry dust it all over the cake. It looked really good, but it was metallic. I don't know if you wanted that or just gold color. HTH

Shaa Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 6

Yes I want metallic gold thank you very much.

Shaa Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 6

Cake is done yayyyyy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%