I Want To Learn All About American Style Decorating Cakes

Decorating By mari_na79 Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 4:17pm by zuckerblumen

mari_na79 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 5

hello!
my name is Marina and I'm from Germany. So sorry, my english isn't that good. icon_smile.gif
I found this site yesterday and I am totally speechless. This cakes here are absolutely amazing. I work as a pastry cook in Germany so cakes are my job and my life. And my hobby! icon_smile.gif
But cakes like I saw here I never saw before. In Germany cakes are very simple, old-fashioned, and for me also boring.
We don't use all these colours. No blue, no black ( and I fell in love with black and white cakes yesterday), no green (only for leaves).
But all these coulours you are using, so bright and these crazy combinations icon_biggrin.gif And the stripes, and dots, and pearls.
I absolutely love it, love it, love it.
I have no words.
I would like to learn everything about decorating cakes like you do. Please help me!! icon_cry.gif
Please recommand me some books or dvds. Just everything I need.
If only could I would open a shop here and sell cakes like I saw here. Right now!
But there is so much I don't even understand here or I never heared before. Like: what is MMF? what is icing? what is gumpaste? I have no idea! icon_cry.gif
So pleeeease! I need your help! I want to be able to make such beatiful cakes like you one day, too.
Thank you. While I'm waiting for your answers I keep on waching every single pic on this site! icon_smile.gif
Greetings, Marina.

4 replies
Juds2323 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 5

MMF is marshmallow fondant. Gumpaste is a sugar paste that can be rolled thin for making beautiful flowers - it dries hard and while you can eat it, it's not recommended. Sugarshack's DVD are great. http://www.sugaredproductions.com/ There are also many things on youtube you can watch. Check out seriouscakes and tonedna's videos on there along with Aine2. On top of all that this website is amazing for info. If you are looking on how to do specific things do a search on it and I'm sure you will find something. If you don't post it in the forum and someone will help.

HTH

Judi

miss_sweetstory Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 5

Hi Marina! Welcome to Cake Central. It can get a bit crazy here sometimes, but you'll learn a lot and "meet" a lot of really nice people.

I am an American living in the UK and do decorating in both Buttercream and Fondant. Because we have people from all over the world there are several terms that might be confusing (same thing called by different names, ingredients referred to by their brand names, etc. Your English is great, so you shouldn't have too many problems. But I hope you'll ask if you have questions.

There are a ton of good books out there, but I think some of the best "overviews" and technique instructions are:
Toba Garrett's "Professional Cake Decorating" http://www.amazon.com/dp/047170136X/?tag=cakecentral-20
and the International School of Su garcraft series (volumes 1-3) http://www.amazon.com/dp/1853917486/?tag=cakecentral-20

I think your greatest challenge will be obtaining supplies. But that can be overcome with internet shopping, etc.

So my advice...pick a question (limit it or you'll get overwhelmed), use the advanced search on this site to see if you can get some answers, and ask away.

Wishing you "sweet" success!

Ann

**edited to correct spelling

artsywest Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 5

Welcome, Marina! In addition to the books and videos, you can also learn a great deal right here on this website. Don't feel bad about asking a lot of questions- most of the folks here love to share and help others. I think there are places where you can order supplies online that will ship anywhere, and there are some things that you can make or adapt from what you already have, such as tools for working with fondant.

Have fun Exploring!
Becky

zuckerblumen Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 5

Hallo Marina,
mein Name ist Rosey, ich habe gerade ihre Nachricht gelesen, und wollte mit ihn gerne reden, mein Deutsch ist auch nicht gut, aber vielleicht wenn Sie lust haben können wir entweder telefonieren oder schreiben, ich interessiere mich sehr für Kuchendekoration und mache jedes Mal einen Kuchen wenn jemanden von meiner Freunde Geburtstag hat. Sie können mich per email erreichen. ( [email protected])

Viele Grüße
Rosey.

Die Farben von meinem Kuchen sind auch wie der Amerikanerkuchen! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%