Savd Cake Batter!?

Decorating By Davina_Alloway Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 2:36am by adven68

Davina_Alloway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davina_Alloway Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 7

OK so I was wondering.... I'm baking a 6 in (maybe smaller) smash cake and I'm using a box cake mix. I want to make it 2 layers but only have 1 pan.

My first question is will the cake batter be ok to sit while the first layer is baking?

And just for future reference... can you refrigerate left over cake batter?

THANX

6 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 7

yes and yes.........I've refrigerated batter for one day and it was fine.....more than that you start to lose some of the baking umf that it has and it won't rise as much.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 7

Yes and yes. I've never had a problem with it rising. I even recently did an experiment where I put a 6" square pan of batter in the freezer, then baked it pretty much straight from the freezer and it baked up fine. (I started to thaw it out, but after about 20 minutes, I got impatient, said "screw it" and threw it in the oven. Came out a-ok-fine!)

Davina_Alloway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davina_Alloway Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 7

THANKS so much ladies! icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 7

just wanted to add that I just bought a t.v. dinner the other night w/ "chocolate cake" in it......and it was just frozen batter.......who knew?? Now I just think about all the cake batter I've thrown out lol. Would be nice to see if you could freeze batter in the pan and then plop it out and put it in a zip bag, then when you're ready to bake, grease your pan and pop it back in and bake. I'll have to do a test next time I make some cake batter.

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Now I just think about all the cake batter I've thrown out lol. Would be nice to see if you could freeze batter in the pan and then plop it out and put it in a zip bag, then when you're ready to bake, grease your pan and pop it back in and bake. I'll have to do a test next time I make some cake batter.

Can't wait to hear how this goes!!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:36am
post #7 of 7

Hmmmm....frozen cake batter.....frozen into the right sizes, you could definitely market something like this.....I mean you can buy frozen cookie dough, frozen lasagne, frozen french fries....etc....etc...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%