Eek! Need To Do Edible Images. Best Place To Buy Sheets/ink?

Baking By TracyLH Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 8:51pm by Pebbles13

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 26

Okay, someone requested hockey jersey cookies with a logo too insane to pipe. icon_eek.gif I think I need to break down and try edible images. I have an Epson CX7450 and just need to know where to buy ink and edible images sheets. Any help would be much appreciated! (Little worried about trying this, but others seem to make it work! Fingers crossed!)

25 replies
Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 26

Unless you plan to do a lot of edible image printing, your best bet is to find a local bakery to do it for you, or an online place.

Your printer must be dedicated to edible ink ONLY, and the sheets can be pricey if you make too many mistakes. icon_rolleyes.gif

Having said that, I've had good service from Kopykake. HTH icon_smile.gif

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 26

is your printer new? I get all my ink cartridges and edible paper from kopykake. I refill my cartrides all the time you just need a chip resetter for epson I got that cheaper on ebay. I just made t-shirt cookies for our elementary school with the school logo. I had a lot of fun I have aphoto in y pics. I love edible images. I use the frosting shets for motre than just images.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 26

Like everyone said, you can't use a printer for edible images that has already been used with regular ink.

But, I get my refill inks and icing sheets from www.cakedeco.com . I have an Epson C88+. I found refillable cartridges on ebay that do not require a reset chip. So, I have 2 sets, one for the edible inks and one for the cleaner. When I know I won't be using the printer for a while, I put the cartridges in with the cleaner and run it a few times. That way I don't have to worry about the ink drying up.

tripleD Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 26

is your printer new? I get all my ink cartridges and edible paper from kopykake. I refill my cartrides all the time you just need a chip resetter for epson I got that cheaper on ebay. I just made t-shirt cookies for our elementary school with the school logo. I had a lot of fun I have aphoto in y pics. I love edible images. I use the frosting shets for motre than just images.

TracyLH Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 26

Triple D - A chip resetter? Uh, oh. What is that?

Anntee - The printer is new. Bought it on sale at Target and have just been too busy/worried about getting it wrong to give it a try. I will only use it for edible images and, if I can figure it out, expect that I will use it a decent amount. I just think it is time to make the investment (gulp!)

Oh, when you do an EI and it has white on it, will it still stay a nice white if the base cookie is royal blue or does the blue show through?

SweetDreamsAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsAT Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 26

Hi Tracy - I have a Canon iP3500, so I'm not sure how my info applies to your Epson. I got the printer at Staples and order supplies at icingimages.com
They have a new "Premium" image paper that is quite a bit thicker than what I got last time. So far, I've only used it on a white icing background, but the thinner stuff I used before definitely would show the background color a bit - especially a dark color like royal blue. I can do a little experiment today with it, and let you know how the Premium does on a dark background. Another thing about the thicker paper is that it takes even longer for everything to dry.
I'll be in touch soon.

TracyLH Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 26

Thanks, CeRae! You are awesome!!! I am hoping to do EI's for this, but whether or not it is used on these jerseys, it is time figure it out! Having to figure this out in a flurry is not ideal. I will be interested to see how long they take to dry in general. Thanks for your help!!! It is great having you on the other end!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:49pm
post #9 of 26

I just got my first image printed at the grocery store, but was looking at supplies on line. I can't wait to give it a try, then see what new toys I may NEED for Mother's Day!

Alagoas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alagoas Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 26

I've read people complain about ink clogging so they prefer to go to a local bakery and/or Walmart to have their images printed on EP... hope you find out how to do it in time... and pleeeease, share photos when your work is done icon_smile.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 26

tripled, what shaped frosting sheet did you use to put onto t-shirt cookies? I've only seen the circles, bus. card size, and large cake sizes and those are the only templates given by kopykake with their program.

SweetDreamsAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsAT Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:49am
post #12 of 26

So, the blue icing really shows through a lot - even on the thicker paper. I'm attaching a pic of my little experiment. icon_lol.gif But Tracy, after seeing that logo, there's GOT to be a way to use the printed images - it would just be insane to pipe that... though, you are known to produce some insanely intricate cookies!! I'll give it some more thought and let you know if I come up with any suggestions.
LL

TracyLH Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:45pm
post #13 of 26

Oh, you are an absolute sweetheart for doing that!!!! This shows me that I either need to pipe the one area under the logo white and do an EI in that area only or simplify the design to RI it separately and drop it on. With time running short, this may be my best option.

Thanks again SO MUCH for taking the time to do this!!! You are phenomenal! I assumed it would be fine and it would have been an absolute disaster with no time to recover! Whew! You saved me!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

tripleD Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 8:35pm
post #14 of 26

first a chip resetter is a componant that resets the memory on the ink cartridge when its empty. when you refill it will read that it is empty and it wont let you print. but the resetter clears the memory on the cartridge and tells it that it has a full cartridge ready to use.

i use my photo program to make small wallet size images i can get about 24 to a full sheet and just cut them out.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:00pm
post #15 of 26

What you need to do is attach the EI to a very thin piece of white fondant, then cut around the logo. It's tedious, but after the 5th cookie, it gets easier. After the 20th cookie, you can do it in your sleep. icon_smile.gif

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:03pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

i use my photo program to make small wallet size images i can get about 24 to a full sheet and just cut them out.

Do you mind sharing which photo program u use?

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:40am
post #17 of 26

How do I attach the EI to MMF? I'm thinking that might be easier for my scouts to do than to do icing.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:16am
post #18 of 26

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. I have been using edible images for a little while and though i'd have to stick with the shapes they make (circles, business card size, sheet size). Now i know that i can print on a large sheet and cut out the shapes i want. It seems obvious now.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:27pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

How do I attach the EI to MMF? I'm thinking that might be easier for my scouts to do than to do icing.

Just dampen the icing with a little water. I use a fan brush or a moistened paper towel. Then, just press the EI on.

EI's dry out pretty quickly when exposed to air, so if you're doing this as a group project, you might want to package them individually in Ziploc bags.

TracyLH Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:11pm
post #20 of 26

Thanks for all of this helpful information! It looks like I need to get in gear and start figuring this out!

Diane - I have only done RI, so your idea with the fondant is all new to me. Is there a recipe for fondant that you recommend? Thanks for your help!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:14pm
post #21 of 26

I generally buy from Icing Images or order from my local cake supply place. Icing Images has really fast shipping.

TracyLH Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:43pm
post #22 of 26

Thanks, Kitagrl!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 11:04pm
post #23 of 26

I just bought the Epson Cx8400 I believe and got my sheets and cartridges last week from kopy kake. You all have me wondering explain please about the resetter thing, what's it for and how do you use it?

They tell me you can download for free from kopykake the lesson or whatever the computer term is to be able to use the designs if anyone is interested. Oh Tracy I use piping gel to stick my EI on cookies.

I hope to get my stuff set up this week, wish me luck.

tljkids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tljkids Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:54pm
post #24 of 26

Debster--
I HIGHLY recommend calling the KopyKade technical support before you do a thing with your printer. The person I spoke with was extremely helpful and walked me through the set up. He told me things that were not necessarily on either the Epson instructions nor the Kopykake instructions. Good Luck!

TracyLH Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #25 of 26

Thanks Debster and Tljkids! I looks like I will have to RI it as time is running short and SweetDreams saved my skin by showing that EIs on a dark background are an issue. I will just fall back on 'tried and true' and play with EIs next time. Thank goodness for SweetDreams! It would have been a disaster! But I plan to get everthing eventually and then see about making sure there is white RI in that one area if I do this idea again. Just running out of time now.

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:51pm
post #26 of 26

Good Luck, Tracy! I know it would have made your life easier to print an EI instead of piping the design, but I'm confident that you are the one girl who can consistently "throw down" any type of insane design on a cookie icon_biggrin.gif I'm rooting for you and can't wait to see the results...and also to see what you end up doing with EI's in the future. Go, Tracy, Go!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%