Help!! How Do I Paint The Color White On A Colored Fondant

Decorating By yangers Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 6:58pm by yangers

yangers Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 7

I am supposed to make a cake next week that is going to have brown and black colored fondant on it. I am trying to paint all the images on the cake using gel colors thinned with clear vanilla. But I am stumped on what to use for white, I have never ran across a white gel color at my local cake supply store before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6 replies
grama_j Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 7

Hi Amy....... I too have never heard of a "white" gel, etc....... but I was thinking that Wilton puts out a WHITENER to add to butter cream to make it pure white. I don't think you would want to thin it like you have the other colors, but it just might do the trick for you.... it might be worth a shot.....

kjt Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 7

Ck makes a's one of their powder food colors-called Super White, you could use this to color the gel. HTH!

tripleD Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 7

??? Maybe try a small amount of RI with a thin paint brush? I don't think there is any white color. it would just be like a printer it just doesnt print white areas just color.It just like when you print a t-shirt design it depends on the color of shirt you use.

nickymom Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 7

yes there is white gel made by Americolor.....go to into the oven website to order some. i used this to paint the white letters & numbers onto my laptop cake keyboard cake (black fondant)

here is a link for you

jamiekwebb Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 7

I use wilton whitener.. i thin my with 2 drops of water. you may need to go over it a couple of times...

yangers Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 7

The lady at the cake supply store didn't know how the Wilton Whitener would work, I might have to try it. They don't sell Americolors. I also thought of trying luster dust mixed with vanilla, but I don't know. I wish I had time to order some Americolor white gel, but I don't. I thank you all for your help, I will be trying the Wilton Whitener and let you know how it works. I will post the finished cake next week after I am all done with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%