Food Coloring

Decorating By sunkiss456 Updated 28 Feb 2009 , 9:44pm by sunkiss456

sunkiss456 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:12am
post #1 of 10

So I notice when I use food coloring it changes the consistency of my icing to a mushy mess if that makes sense lol and it drives me bonkers! What can I use to keep the icing the same Consistency but have stronger colors? I use wilton's concentrated gel colors at the moment.

9 replies
JanH Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 10

What type of frosting are you making?

What colors are giving you problems; and how much gel paste are you using (to how many cups of frosting)?

Usually deep red is a difficult color....

mbpbrighteyes Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 10

I've had that happen when making really dark, deep colors of gumpaste- not mushy, but noticed that it changes the consistancy. Usually helps if I start with something different from what I'm making- ie: tint violet then black- Are you having problems with all colors or just certain ones?? What type of frosting is it?
I don't have a solution per say, but I have both Wilton and Americolor colorings and by far prefer the Americolor. Seems like they're truer to the color you're expecting and stronger.

tiggy2 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 10

Try chefmaster liqua gel colors. They are concentrated so you use very little to get deep colors.

sunkiss456 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

What type of frosting are you making?

What colors are giving you problems; and how much gel paste are you using (to how many cups of frosting)?

Usually deep red is a difficult color....

I make BC and it's a recipe I got from seriouscakes.

Usually black and red give the most issues.

How can you get a true deep red color without making the icing runny?

Usually when I try to do borders or roses with red or black when it comes out it's not as stiff and tends to look like a blob and loses the shape that it gives when it first comes out of the tip.

SeriousCakes Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 10

I recently did a firetruck cake and was able to get a true red but I started a day before I needed it. I used the no-taste red and got it to a good pinky-red then put it in the fridge. Overnight it got a little darker but the next day I left it on the counter and as the day went on it got redder. I wanted it a little darker though so I added some burgandy, then more no-taste red:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1322701

sunkiss456 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 10

wow your firetruck looks great seriouscakes! Awesome shade of red on it. I just love your bc recipe too. Everyone else loves it as well icon_smile.gif Do you have a recipe for chocolate bc?

tonedna Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 10

I use chefmasters...love them!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sunkiss456 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 9:44pm
post #10 of 10

Yesssss. Thanks so much! Can't wait to try it. I have heard a lot about chefmasters and americolor but haven't seen it in any stores. But I also don't look for it . I always assumed wilton was a great brand (the amateur in me showing icon_redface.gif).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%