Coating Chipping Off Ka Paddle Attachment??

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 3:37pm by punkinpie

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:56am
post #1 of 9

Is this common? I bought a KA from a co-worker who got it and then didn't use it. It was practically brand new. I was washing it tonight after making a batch of BC and noticed the coating was chipping off the pointed end of the paddle!

I've used it 4 times, making BC only so far and now it's chipping? Any idea if this is something they would cover under warranty? I'm scared to use it anymore for fear of enamel pieces falling into whatever I'm mixing!

8 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:02am
post #2 of 9

Mine did the same thing! I called KA about a month or two ago and they said if I still had the sales receipt and it was within a year, they would replace it. Mine was at least 2-3 years old so I was totally out of luck and am ordering a replacement on eBay soon.

Pi$$ed me off to no end.......

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:04am
post #3 of 9

I bought my KA new and have only used it about 10 times and the coating is chipping on mine too. I don't know if this is covered or not.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:05am
post #4 of 9

I think there might be a height adjustment thingy on the KA. I haven't checked my book as it's still packed in a box somewhere in the garage but it could be that your paddle is scraping the bottom of the bowl (just a thought). Could be something else entirely.

I just got my coated paddle in the mail and haven't used it yet. I have the burnished one which is all I have used so far.

Why don't you call them and ask if they'll replace it? Even if they don't they may be able to help you determine the reason why it happened. Also I think to buy them new they only are about $15.

Good luck.

chilz822 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:05am
post #5 of 9

I sent them a message, we'll see what they say...

chilz822 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:12am
post #6 of 9

Very good to know that they're that inexpensive. I bought the KA new (out of the box) from a co-worker. KA 5 Professional, I paid her $150.00.

It's a bowl-lift model and no paperwork.
Maybe this is a good time to try the beater blade?
icon_wink.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:09am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

Maybe this is a good time to try the beater blade?
icon_wink.gif

I've heard good things about them just haven't got around to getting one yet!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 9

If it's happening a lot, then when you call KA to ask for a replacement, see if you can get them to send you the burnished one instead of the coated one. I wonder if it will fit your model...

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 9

Often a company will say no first and if you ask to speak to a manager and plead your case you will get what you want - if you are reasonable, polite and respectful.

I would say something like I bought KA because of its reputation for quality - and I'm so disappointed. I expected it to last much longer than this.

Let us know how you make out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%