To Frost Or Not To Frost?

Decorating By Ladyfish74 Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 1:28am by ceshell

Ladyfish74 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:08am
post #1 of 6

OK Y'all. I've just recently started back making wedding cakes since moving here to TX. In CA at this time of year, I didn't have to worry about IBC going all slidey and melty on me. I have a cake due for tomorrow night and I'm wondering if I should ice it and refrigerate it until the reception or ice it and let it stand at room temp till then. The weather here is always changing and as of right now, it seems to be warming up and getting more humid. Let me know what you think. If I ice it and refrigerate it, will it sweat? I can't remember ever refrigerating one with IBC before. Thanks!

5 replies
ceshell Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:16am
post #2 of 6

Which icing is IBC? Is that the same as IMBC - Italian Meringue buttercream? My IMBC doesn't go sweaty on me after refrigeration. However you talk about refrigerating it "until the reception" - I don't know if you mean that literally; I would ensure that it was out of the fridge for at least one hour to come to room temp before serving.

If the weather is cool tomorrow I don't think you'll even need to bother refrigerating first, but really, it can't hurt, especially if it saves you some peace of mind.

Of course if IBC is a different icing than what I am mentioning, then *nevermind* icon_redface.gif

Ladyfish74 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you,
Actually, I meant SMBC. It was late when I posted and I was pooped. I don't know where IBC came from! I must have been thinking Italian buttercream --you know that's buttercream with a little garlic thrown in-LOL. Anyway, I think I will refrigerate for awhile before the reception as it has gotten very humid just overnight (that's common here), but It will have been sitting out over an hour by the time the reception starts. Thanks Much! icon_smile.gif

ceshell Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 6

LOL, sounds like you've got it covered icon_smile.gif - by now the cake is already there, so I hope it is a hit!!

Ladyfish74 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for your advice. Next time I will take it and not refrigerate. I actually read in Toba Garrett's book that a little shortening in the SMBC would stabilize it for hotter climates so I did that but then I also refrigerated it (I was a little paranoid, I guess) and when I transported it, the frosting cracked (too cold and solid). It was pretty easy to smooth out when I got to the reception site, but next time I'll just add the shortening and forget the refrigerator. My girlfriend is getting married in May and will have an outdoor wedding so I think I will try Indydeb's frosting recipe for her cake since it's supposed to stand up to the heat and humidity. The humidity here is vicious and that's my biggest concern. I sure miss the weather out where you are. I'm from Sacto originally. I've been here for 8 years. I like your avatar. It reminds me of Rizzo on The Muppet Show.

ceshell Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:28am
post #6 of 6

Oh yeah, I forgot about Rizzo! My avatar is actually Rizzo's modern-day contemporary, Remy from Ratatouille icon_smile.gif.

I had not thought about the cracking problem; that has never happen to me with all butter IMBC, and I always keep my cakes refrigerated up until I get in the car with them. I wonder if the added shortening just makes it TOO firm? Of course you could always take the cake out of the fridge sooner to give it more time to soften up before transporting it. I much prefer IMBC to a powdered-sugar buttercream but a) some people prefer the ps icing anyway and b) a yummy IMBC cake is irrelevant if your icing is in a puddle on the floor LOL. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%