What's Your Baking Schedule Like?

Decorating By sweet1122 Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm by Joybeth

sweet1122 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:45am
post #1 of 6

I thought I had a pretty good system that I would follow. If a cake is for Saturday then I would bake on Wednesday, wrap in plastic wrap and in the fridge it goes. Make my icing and crumb coat on Thursday and then do the final icing and decorating on Friday. This helps me not get too stressed or overwhelmed, and allows some room if things don't go well. But, am I baking too soon? I'm interested in hearing what everyone else does and how you store your cakes. Thanks!

5 replies
indydebi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:54am
post #2 of 6

pretty much the same schedule, except I might bake on Mon and/or Tues, if it's a heavy schedule ... I freeze the cakes instead of refrigerating.

jammjenks Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 6

Bake Wednesday - wrap and leave at room temp.
Ice and decorate on Thursdays or Fridays

If I have a heavy weekend with orders or children's activities, I may bake on Tues and alter the schedule from there. I don't do a lot of fondant/gumpaste, but I like to get that done on Monday if I can.

Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 6

I bake Tuesday and refridgerate...Make icing Wednesdays...decorate Thursday and friday.I also try and get the boards covered and small fondant pieces done at the beginning of the week also!

VannaD Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 6

If i have a cake due on saturday... bake, torte on thursday, wrap them up and leave on counter (someone on here said putting them in the fridge quickens the rate that the cake goes stale, that might not happen though if they are wrapped) friday i decorate. Saturday i deliver and put on finishing touches. Now if i have gumpaste figures i make them earlier in the week or whenever i have time, and just put them on the cake when its time. PLease keep in mind im a hobby baker and usually when i have a cake its the only one i will be doing that week. I know many ppl on here make many cakes each week and do all their baking on one day and freeze cakes, then thaw as need throughout the week. Ok this is long, sorry, good luck~

Joybeth Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 6

Well, I asked this question a while ago....Soo I have two cakes due on Sat. I bake for one and decorate on Thurs. Now I am baking and decorating the second cake today. They are big cakes too. I think it really depends on what you can handle, and if you have a large enough fridge/freezer.
HTH,
Joy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%