Grrr....so Plan Ahead, Already!

Business By karateka Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 6:02pm by OhMyGanache

karateka Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 10

So I'm doing the once monthly tasting thing, and it has mostly worked out twice, so I'm going to keep it in place for now. But twice I've gotten phone calls from brides who ask about tastings. I tell them the next one is March 29, I still have 5 of the 6 appointments available, and what time would they like?

They tell me that "that's just too far off for me. My wedding's in less than 6 months, you know, I have to start planning now!"

SO.....I guess the fact that they planned a wedding for less than 6 months from now means that I need to alter my business plan? icon_confused.gif

9 replies
indydebi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:02am
post #2 of 10

Instead of telling them when the next one is, tell them, "I'm booked solid for appts until March 29th, but I do have 4 time slots open for that day. Do you want the 12:00 or the 4:00?"

Being booked solid comes across different than "Oh, I'm waiting around for a month before I do samplings." It gives them a sense of urgency about getting in to see you. They'll tell everyone "I couldn't get in to see her because she was too booked", which makes everyone else go"Wow, she must be GOOD!"

karateka Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:12am
post #3 of 10

That's a good way to put it, thanks.

leah_s Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:22am
post #4 of 10

Good one, Indy.

Also, every book and magazine tells brides to book vendors early. If you make them wait a month to see you, you greatly increase the chance of losing the business. It really would be a great idea to do the tastings and appointments on an as needed basis especially during the prime planning months (Jan/Feb.)

pinklesley1 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:30am
post #5 of 10

i love the way you worded that debi...

you always have great imput...

awesome.. i am so using that...

snarkybaker Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:41am
post #6 of 10

We let them schedule a consultation anytime, but tastings are complimentary only at the monthly tastings. ( We do two in each January and February) A private "tasting" is $35, which includes three flavors of their choice and is creditable to their wedding purchase. We are probably going to a $50 tasting fee as of March 1.

pinklesley1 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:49am
post #7 of 10

i do complimentary tastings, but me and the hubby were thinking of starting to charge...

but i dont have a storefront, my office is in my house and i rent a kitchen... so i am not sure if people would be too keen on paying the fee ...

do you have people that complain about the tasting fee???

snarkybaker Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:59am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklesley1

i do complimentary tastings, but me and the hubby were thinking of starting to charge...

but i dont have a storefront, my office is in my house and i rent a kitchen... so i am not sure if people would be too keen on paying the fee ...

do you have people that complain about the tasting fee???

Since they have two complimentary options; the consultation, at which I'll talk about design and quote price and give all of the information they need, or the monthly tasting, we have had very little resistance. No one has complained. I imagne the ones that don't like it just choose another baker.

pinklesley1 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:04am
post #9 of 10

i guess if we set it up that way.. they can come to the free one or put money down for their future cake, then why would they complain...

so i think we will start that... i have been doing the monthly tastings... and it has worked pretty good.... so fingers crossed it goes great...

OhMyGanache Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 10

My group tastings are once a month and are free to attend. For private tastings, I charge $50. If they want you to work around their schedule, then they can pay for the privilege.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%